Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power in the fuse panel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DWSIX
I am having trouble getting my wires to the horns and the fog lights to get power. I put a power light to the fuses on the panel, with the key on, and I only get sound/light on the far right 5 fuses. The 7 on the left...nothing. I tried this again on a 71 that is rough but has power and I get the same results.

Weird. hissyfit.gif Anybody think of what is going on? I pulled the panel off and checked relays. They seem good. I even replaced them for good measure and still nothing.

Any brilliant suggestions? My car is a 70 914-6. But I think the fuse and power is the same as a 4.

Thanks.
messix
QUOTE(DWSIX @ Feb 17 2013, 11:41 AM) *

I am having trouble getting my wires to the horns and the fog lights to get power. I put a power light to the fuses on the panel, with the key on, and I only get sound/light on the far right 5 fuses. The 7 on the left...nothing. I tried this again on a 71 that is rough but has power and I get the same results.

Weird. hissyfit.gif Anybody think of what is going on? I pulled the panel off and checked relays. They seem good. I even replaced them for good measure and still nothing.

Any brilliant suggestions? My car is a 70 914-6. But I think the fuse and power is the same as a 4.

Thanks.

how are you with reading wiring schematics?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_Parts/...al_diagrams.htm
DWSIX
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(DWSIX @ Feb 17 2013, 11:41 AM) *

Thanks.

how are you with reading wiring schematics?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_Parts/...al_diagrams.htm

As worthless as Tits on a boar hog. I have the service manual. And can trace power to components, but with charts, they are not easy to tell where a part is to me. I guess the first answer is YES..all fuses are supposed to be Hot with the key on. So if not, I don't know where to go between the fuse and the battery hot to find the break.
Like I said, no great skills there for me. I was kind of hoping there is an easy step I am missing.
914itis
I had the same issue with my horn after my restoration I didn't try the figs since I had no intention of using them. I took the ground straight from the horn button wire under the steering wheel as I was not using the stock horn. I used am air horn .
messix
do you have a volt/ohm meter?
DWSIX
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 03:38 PM) *

do you have a volt/ohm meter?

Yes....2 of them. 1 for friends to help.
messix
ok then with the key in the on position you will have to trace out the horn circuit. don't forget there is a relay that is what really powers to the horn. but the relay is grounded by the horn button. and that turns the relay "on" to the horn.

do you have the stock steering wheel?
DWSIX
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 07:05 PM) *

ok then with the key in the on position you will have to trace out the horn circuit. don't forget there is a relay that is what really powers to the horn. but the relay is grounded by the horn button. and that turns the relay "on" to the horn.

No, it is a Momo Prototipo wheel. I guess my concerns are twofold....first the horns and fog lights....which led me on a chase that created issue 2; the fuse panel. I am not familar with how it works. I have it off and there are no red or black wires coming into fuse slot 1-7. Only 8-12. So is there supposed to be power in 1-7? I am beginning to think not.

Anyone know? Does this make sense? blink.gif
DWSIX
QUOTE(DWSIX @ Feb 17 2013, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 07:05 PM) *

No, it is a Momo Prototipo wheel. I guess my concerns are twofold....first the horns and fog lights....which led me on a chase that created issue 2; the fuse panel. I am not familar with how it works. I have it off and there are no red or black wires coming into fuse slot 1-7. Only 8-12. So is there supposed to be power in 1-7? I am beginning to think not.

Anyone know? Does this make sense? blink.gif

And where is the relay for the horn? I have the elictric wiring diagram out and it appears to be right of the fuse panel.....but I don't believe the diagrams are showing geographic part locations...only current flow. There are 3 relays on the back side of the fuse panel itself. What are these for? They all have good power (I tested with a test light) and appear to function correctly. I hooked power and ground to the each relay and also volt meter probes with resistance setting, and they engaged (clicked).

Does anyone know the relay positions? Is there an artical out there?
toolguy
for both the horn and toe fogs. . . pull the fuse panel. . identify which relay is for the fogs and which is for the horn. . . then press the horn and feel the relay. . . did you feel it click. . . do the same for the fogs. . . I'm guessing the relay isn't working, but now you'll be able to back track the operational wiring to the fog switch and the horn. . the horn generally doesn't work because of a bad contact in the steering wheel. . .

However, the fogs will only operate with the headlights on and on low beam. . . they won't come on with the headlights off or on High. . . .They are wired through the headlight switch and the dimmer. .

I figured out how to rewire the headlight switch so you can turn the fogs anytime. . . and I rewired my high beam 'flasher' to flash the fog lights instead of the high beams. .
messix
the diagram that is on the bird site is pretty bad.

you should have power on the buss side of the fuse panel on one side. that should go to the battery.

messix
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 05:36 PM) *

you should have power on the buss side of the fuse panel on one side. that should go to the battery.

does any one know if the haynes manual goes back to the '70 year?
messix
the wires are color coded and you should be able to track and sort them that way
DWSIX
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 07:54 PM) *

the wires are color coded and you should be able to track and sort them that way

I can track the wires ok. What I have not yet done is check continuity on each wire.
I just don't know if I have a fuse panel issue. I don't know if fuses 1-7 are supposed to be hot. I get zero power at these. But there are no red or black hot wires going in there, nor on any schematic I see.
messix
with the key on you dont get power to those?
Drums66
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 05:36 PM) *

does any one know if the haynes manual goes back to the '70 year?

...It reads 69' to 76'
bye1.gif
DWSIX
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 08:39 PM) *

with the key on you dont get power to those?

No...only on fuses 8-12, which apprear to be the only slots with red and/or black wires. 1-7 slots only have white, white/yellow, etc. those wires which appear to not carry power???? I do not know. The wires are new to me. I do not know what the colors mean other than tracing from start to finish of a component run. confused24.gif
messix
ok it looks like fuses 1-7 go thru the switches first for power then to fuse then load [lights]
the fogs are fuse 10. that wire goes to the relay should be red w/blach stripe
DWSIX
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 09:22 PM) *

ok it looks like fuses 1-7 go thru the switches first for power then to fuse then load [lights]
the fogs are fuse 10. that wire goes to the relay should be red w/blach stripe

So would that mean that there would bo no power unless the component is turned on? If so, that would explain the no power on the first 7 slots.

Hat makes sense now on the fogs. I can follow the wire out of slot 10 and see which relay it goes in to. That would allow me to check the correct relay. Like I said, the current flow diagams do not show component level positions. Just that it is there.....somewhere.

Really thank everyone for the help. Maybe I can figure this out soon.
messix
this list and numbers
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...rical_1971a.htm

correspond to the item numbers in the circles here
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/elec...lectric_71A.jpg
DWSIX
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 17 2013, 09:44 PM) *

Thanks for the help. The key was the 1st 7 slots are indeed component slots. piratenanner.gif They become hot when the component is on.

Thanks again everyone. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.