Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor drive spring.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyesright
I'm rebuilding '76 2.0. I don't find a spring in my parts box that slides into the distributor drive socket before adding the distributor shaft. This spring is mentioned in the Haynes, Lash, and Wilson books, and there is one in a 1.7 engine that I built awhile back. But it isn't mentioned in the Raby video, nor did I find it in 914World search. and a coupe of other web searches.

I was trying to keep up on organizing parts during the teardown, but there's always a chance I missed something. Anyway, I sure don't have one now. I pulled the one out of the 1.7 and will find one similiar at Lowe's, but can anyone advise me if it is required and what it's purpose is. I can't imagine a problem with the drive gear jumping out of the crank gear as long as the dizzy is snug. And if the dizzy IS creeping out of position, the spring isn't going to solve any problems...hmmm.

Thanks.
mrbubblehead
personally I think the spring is very necessary. it keeps tension on the distributor shaft. it will slow the wear on the bushings which inturn keeps your timing from jumping around. if i hand an engine that was missing one, i would surely find one to replace it. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Distributor-D...111-105-233.htm

sure, it will work without one, but for how long?
eyesright
"Anti-chatter spring" That makes sense. Thanks.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm sure I have one. your welcome to it.
mrbubblehead
right on cabinetmaker. i looked, but i must have robbed all my spare already...
Drums66
.....I bet it's still in the hole?...try a magnet 1st! idea.gif
bye1.gif(I've found that before!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.