Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Press for Üro rubber OEM style suspension bushings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shuie
I tried to install a set of the Üro brand rubber suspension bushings today using my bench vise as a press and it really didn't go too well. I've always been able to get away with a vise for stuff like this. Not today. What kind of press do I need to install these? Do they need to be turned down in a lathe at all? Im guessing Im going to have to bring them to a machine shop to be installed on the a-arm mounts.

Has anyone been able to install these at home without a real press? Is there a fixture or a trick to getting them pressed on with a vise? I did boil them and use the soap per the instructions.
BIGKAT_83
Is this for the front or rear suspension. If its the rear I can help.
I installed some in the rear and had to make a tool to do this.

Bob smash.gif
scotty b
rubber is to soft to press in by force. If it is not lubed up, the bushing will just bind on the steel and flex into a knot. It needs to be heavily coated with something like lithium grease prior to trying anything. Marks method of putting them in boiling water, as he does with anti sway bar link bushings may help too as it will soften it enough to be more pliable. Maybe combine that with lubing up the arm confused24.gif
shuie
Thanks. I did boil them and lube everything with liquid soap. The bushings went onto the front a-arms easily by hand with no issues. I could not press the collared mounting provisions over the bushings on ends of the arms at all. Not even close. Maybe I didn't boil them for long enough. I'll try it again tomorrow.
Eric_Shea
I would vary slightly from this video by:

1. Lubing both surfaces with soap.
2. Install the bushing completely into the outer mounts prior to sliding the assembly onto the arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45IvTOZxtBE
MrHyde
I used a couple pieces of 4x4. one with a hole put half way through it to clear the torsion bar cap end. Then used a bar clamp to press everything together.. Used dish soap to lube the bushings.
It took a bit of time and a bit of swearing. Only cost me the $20-30 for a decent bar clamp.
That being said, if I had a proper shop press it would have been much easier.
shuie
Thanks again, everyone. Everything went on just fine either by hand or with a little help from the bench vise today.

FWIW, Chuck from Elephant has another really good video that shows how to do the install w/hand tools as well.

I'm excited about these bushings. The last time I did this job there was no viable OE style replacement bushing for sale anywhere. Im really glad to see these.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(shuie @ Feb 18 2013, 02:14 PM) *

Thanks again, everyone. Everything went on just fine either by hand or with a little help from the bench vise today.

FWIW, Chuck from Elephant has another really good video that shows how to do the install w/hand tools as well.

I'm excited about these bushings. The last time I did this job there was no viable OE style replacement bushing for sale anywhere. Im really glad to see these.

I have not installed the 914 bushings but in the past with soft bushings I have frozen them and heated the receiver along with lube. That made the bushing less flow able and less prone to bind. may not work on the 914 rubber compound but I thought I would point it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.