Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smoothing rust pits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
ok i am slighty motivated to go work on my car again. i did the engine bay in paintable undercoating, now after seeing all of the pretty engine bays i want to clean mine up. so i am going to pull the motor or more like untie it and strip the under coating. the reason i did the under coating is two fold one was for sound purposes, the second was my pass side frame has rust pits but no rust holes. my car is black ( only real porsches are black). but i want a brighter color in the engine bay.

so do i use epoxy filler to fill and smooth the frame, i know grinding would take too much metal out, or would por 15 fill em in. i am thinking about using por 15 silver in the engine bay but how would that look with the body black or are there better colors. btw i do not have spray equipment so thats one reason for por

heres a pic with it in rust converter spray primer
McMark
You can fill pitting with glazing putty. You need to replace the missing piece of sheet metal in order for your engine to run cool. You could do silver POR-15, and it would look decent. You might ask around at shops and automotive paint shops to find someone who paints and see how much they'd charge to paint your engine bay. More expensive than POR-15, but much much better looking.
scotty914
the sheet metal is out for a reason... its called a suby 2.5
redshift
laugh.gif

M
McMark
Damn good reason. biggrin.gif
xsboost90
you could always get one of those kits to do a truck sprayin bedliner...
bob91403
Jake says he uses LineX for engine compartments. Check it out.
914GT
Wurth Rocker Guard is a nice coating to use. It's best to spray it with a schutz gun but it can be applied with brush or roller. This is an OEM Porsche coating. It can be painted over any color you like. If you decide to prep the metal and paint I would not use red glazing putty for filling pits and imperfections. This is lacquer-based and it can shrink, and it's incompatible with a lot of topcoats. Instead use polyester putty.
DonTraver
I'd use JB Weld to fill pitting in the engine compartment. Works like body putty and nothing, gas, oil, heat, etc will affect it. Paint sticks too.

good luck, Don
Jeroen
Just paint it and live with the minor imperfections
Paint may not be the most durable/strong coating, but IF you have problems, you can easily spot them and fix em
With so called durable coatings, you won't notice if anythings wrong beneath it untill it's waaaaaay to late

JMHO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.