Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screw in studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ednosnaws
I'm sure it's been answered before....but I'm trying to determine how long a screw in stud i should order. The thread length of my stock bolts is 1.5 inches. Seems like the studs should be around 2 inches. Am I in the neighborhood? Also, where should I order them from. I was going to use some nice looking polished aluminum nuts I saw on pelican.
Cupomeat
Can you be more specific? Which studs are you replacing?

Exhaust?
Spoke
Info I received from Eric Shea:

Here's a link to the studs. Check the various models in the left side bar. You'll want 14x1.5

[url= http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/StoreFront]Race Studs[/url]

(Note: all lengths shown are full (end to end) length.
Approx. 11mm is available for screwing into the hub, the remaining length up to the total length is available to clear the brake, wheel and lug nut.)

45mm is stock
ednosnaws
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Feb 18 2013, 04:23 AM) *

Can you be more specific? Which studs are you replacing?

Exhaust?

Sorry, I'm a bonehead, I'm replacing the stock lug bolts on my stock Fuchs. The originals are old and rusty, and I read here that the best way is to go studs/nuts. I would rather not screw up the threads though with the standard type of stud.
Thanks
ednosnaws
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 18 2013, 06:25 AM) *

Info I received from Eric Shea:

Here's a link to the studs. Check the various models in the left side bar. You'll want 14x1.5

http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/StoreFront]Race Studs[/url]

(Note: all lengths shown are full (end to end) length.
Approx. 11mm is available for screwing into the hub, the remaining length up to the total length is available to clear the brake, wheel and lug nut.)

45mm is stock

Thanks, what I really need to know though is what length though. My stock length bolt has 1.5 inches of thread...about 38 mm. If I add a pretty nut on the top, which does not allow for the stud to protrude through (I'm sure there is a term for this, but I don't know what it is) then it seems like I would need 11mm + roughly 50mm, giving about 12 mm for threads inside the nut....Am I right about this?
Eric_Shea
45 is factory length. You can use 50 as well and have them still fit under the alloy lug nuts.

General use... 45mm is your guide. Add any spacer width to that and you can come up with custom lengths. If you're using open lug nuts you can go any length but again, factory for 911 front and rear hubs is 45mm.
ednosnaws
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 18 2013, 09:16 AM) *

45 is factory length. You can use 50 as well and have them still fit under the alloy lug nuts.

General use... 45mm is your guide. Add any spacer width to that and you can come up with custom lengths. If you're using open lug nuts you can go any length but again, factory for 911 front and rear hubs is 45mm.

Thanks Eric, I think I get it.
vw505
Does anyone know for some press in wheel studs that can be picked up at the local auto parts store? What modle car has a comparable wheels stud that is longer for a 4 lug car?
stugray
Eric,

Are these the correct studs:
http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/the-53/M...ce-Studs/Detail

And these the correct nuts:
http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/the-34/M...Hardened/Detail

??
Stu
stugray
I ask because I went to put my wheels on the rear and the lug bolts are too short.
The bolts are 44mm from top of head to bottom of thread.

They are not long enough to go through my wheels (stock Fuchs - 361-011-01) and the rotor and have any threads left to catch the spindle.

I must have mixed them up during the 3 yrs the car has been on stands ;-)
So is the 45mm JUST the thread that protrudes from the front of the spindle or the total length?

Stu

Edit sorry changed the wheel type
stugray
Bump.

I still have not gotten my rears on and I figured out why.
The car came with one set of wheels. The kind with the raised flat spot on the flower petals (dont see them in the PET).
The ones I am trying to put on the rear are different (still a stock 361-011-01) and the ~45mm bolts are too short. These bolts are 45mm including the head.

Is that the only stock length? When I checked all the FLAPS, that is the only length they had (too short).
So it seems that some of the stock bolts were longer than 45mm or I have some weird wheels or rear hub setup.

So it looks like I should get these:

http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/the-55/M...ace-Stud/Detail

They will give me 65mm of "stickout" from the rear hub
with the 60 degree nuts? (this is a race car) and then use loctite red to install them?

Stu
stugray
^ still wanting to order new "stock" bolts/studs....
stugray
?
Jon H.
I've used this guy for my Westfalia conversion, same thread pitch for porsche, 14x1.5. Shipping was quick.
T3Technique
Mercedes also stocks the longer wheel bolts.

Jon
jaxdream
Check out the classifieds here !!!! piratenanner.gif

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.