Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new garage in 1 day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
10'x20'. i have needed to get the silver car home so i have access and put the engine in. i couldn't work on the 73' while it has been stored in the neighbor's pole building. i didn't want to just tarp it and have it sit in a moisture rich environment. i'll pick up a couple of DRY-Z-AIRs today to place in the interior. the carport is a costco item. 100 times+ cheaper than a framed garage. besides the $ i have no time for the engineering, permitting process, new slab, and build process. well engineered for what it is and the instructions were fairly straight forward. the super sat in the truck all day making sure i stayed on task. when i get the house garage storage situation squared away shades.gif the 70' ford p/u can move into the 'costco special'.

k
FourBlades

Nice! piratenanner.gif

I need to do something like this.

Do you have a moisture barrier under the gravel?

John
billh1963
Not a bad way to go. Flaps open for ventilation as needed and it's portable as well. That helps!
rhodyguy
no vapor barrier. that's why i'm going to put the DZAs in the 73'. there is enough of a gap at the covering bottom edge to allow for some air circulation when the ends/windows/side door are zipped up. the garage was $217. no pesky HOA CCRs to contend with. the parking area is somewhat sheltered/shaded from the direct sunlight most of the day. if i think there's going to be UV deterioration i'll get a one of those blue/silver sided tarps (silver side up) for an additional top cover.
Eddie914
Looks great! A good days work.

How much $$ from Costco?

I have had one for about 8 years. I think is was about $125 eight years ago. I replaced the top cover 2 years ago and that alone was about $85 ... and the quality is not nearly as good as the original. It's starting to show wear.
FourBlades

I've been putting a cheap, sacrificial tarp over my pvc heavy duty tarp because the sun will eventually destroy it. Then I just get another cheap tarp and keep my good one in good shape.

I really need another 2 car garage....

John
sixnotfour
Kevin , my guy with the lifts reply was "You will be the first to know"...not very definite.
rhodyguy
moved into the new 'house'. lots of room. thanks to jack engle(championgt1) for the extra manpower.

thanks jeff, i wish he'd move already. biggrin.gif
mrbubblehead
that is sweet... i'm sold. did you have to special order it? or is it a stock in store item?
rhodyguy
in store. you wouldn't want to pay shipping. way oversized and the weight is prob upwards of 150#. i had an associate help me put it on the cart. sleeved anchors to mount it to a slab were included in the kit. no extra trips to the hardware store.

k
mrbubblehead
do you have a model number or a link? i just searched costco sight and couldnt find it..
wndsnd
Nice Kevin!
rhodyguy
the online stuff is crazy, call your local costco. i didn't pay the $449.95 i found in the search. that may have included shipping, don't know. the exact price i paid was $217.99+tax. the item # is 496840 (same as on the box) CAR CANOPY on the receipt.

just pushing the silver car got me all worked up.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 18 2013, 11:14 AM) *

the online stuff is crazy, call your local costco. i didn't pay the $449.95 i found in the search. that may have included shipping, don't know. the exact price i paid was $217.99+tax. the item # is 496840 (same as on the box) CAR CANOPY on the receipt.

just pushing the silver car got me all worked up.

Great, thank you.
messix
hey kev, you want to open the top part of the side of the roof at the peak. if you drill the tube and put a long bolt thru it then you can bungee the flap over to like a 45 angle and still not get rain into it.

you need air to circulate and not trap moisture in there. my brother had one and sealed it up nice and EVERYTHING turned green.... inside and out!

r_towle
Those typically last a year or two up here in the snow belt...
Three if you remember to brush off the snow every 6 inches or so...

Rich
oldschool
Ive had mine for a few years..very easy to put together...no tools.. Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
the way it sets it up leaves plenty of gap all the way around the bottom. i think the gravel is a good way to go rather than sitting on a wet slab.

messix
QUOTE(Scotti @ Feb 18 2013, 07:13 PM) *

I had one years ago. Be careful with the moisture problem. Mine acted like a greenhouse 'very humid' ruined the 66 t-bird I had in it.

That's why my brother opened up the peaks
KELTY360
I've had the same unit for three years. Impressed with the fit and quality of the zippers. Went together easily although it might have been smoother without Greenie's supervision. shades.gif It's held up very well and ventilation on gravel has been adequate.
rick 918-S
My friend had one of those. After it was picked up and tossed across his yard by the wind he used treated 2" X 6"s as a foundation and bolted the hoops to them. Then he drove big ass stakes into the ground through the 2" X 6"s.
NORD
Nice Kevin. When will the garage party be?

If you and Pea Green do it the same day maybe us boys from up state

May come down. driving.gif
chrispy
I've had mine for about seven years. About every two years, the tarp portion rots out at the poles where they are exposed to the sun. Last year I covered the poles in foam to see if it would keep the tarp from cooking due to the transferd heat. I'll know by next year if it was a good idea. Mine is on a concrete slab with my sons restored 69 charger underneath.
euro911
When the fabric goes goes, replace it with the corrugated PVC panel they sell at Home Depot or Lowes.

I got tired of replacing the poly fabric top every two years and the PVC panels have held up great for over ten years now smile.gif
brant
Nice work...
I want one for my truck now...
I will have to get a costco membership someday!

nice job!
balljoint
The best part is that there is room for a cot in there. For when your wife finds your stash of 914 related receipts. mellow.gif
IronHillRestorations
I'll 2nd the secure attatchment advise. We had some very strong winds and I've seen several of those kind of shelters in neighbors yards, wrapped around trees, in the tree tops, etc. My Stepfather lawyer would avise to "mitigate exposure to liability".
mrbubblehead
hey rhodyguy, i bought one at costco in san bernardino. they had like 10 of em. 219 bucks. im gonna put my wifes 914 in it. im thinking about buying another one for my motor home, if i could extend the legs to make it about 2 feet taller.

thanks for sharing. this is a great idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.