Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stock 2.0 914-6 compression values
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd230
Just picked up a 914-6 this weekend which is in need of some reassembly. Compression values are currently in the 145 psi range. A local mechanic told me the typical values for a stock motor would be in the 125-130 range because of the low compression set up in 1970. I'd be interested in the values other members are seeing with their stock 2.0 vs a stock motor with a slight bump in compression via S pistons (for example). This is just out of curiosity, while I'm working to get the fuel and brake systems in shape. Pure speculation. Any input would be great - thank you. Todd
sixnotfour
No Pics ....No answers ......NoOby rules
JmuRiz
I think the numbers vary on the machine used to check...maybe an experienced engine builder would know ballpark values.
Todd230
on the way home Saturday -
IPB Image
photo by todd2302000, on Flickr

My old car -
IPB Image
image by todd2302000, on Flickr
Todd230
Was just curious. When I was building kart engines compression between the different spec motors were pretty easy to distinguish.

Pretty nice little car. 99% rust free - there is a 50 cent size hole right behind the passenger front tire on the rocker, hell hole is rust free, pan looks solid. Need to install the rebuilt calipers, ss fuel lines, rebuilt webers, and see where I am in terms of leaks, compression again, leak down and go from there. Considering putting another motor in it just to have the experience of building a porsche motor at my own pace while driving this one and then swapping it out so I can drive it a little more spirited.

It's got an old respray one it and its got a few dents and dings but nothing major. Going to run a paint thickness gauge over it just for info - I don't see any major bodywork in it. Think it was a simple respray based on the masking lines, etc.. Estimate it's been sitting for 10 - 20 years. Original paperwork, delivery booklet with VIN and motor #s, etc..
Cairo94507
Very nice car. Congratulations.
Mike Bellis
The actual number is less important then consistency between the cylinders.

Actual numbers will vary from tool to tool...
Todd230
Thanks. Yes I understand the basics of compression testing. My question was geared towards what combinations produce x compression values. My 3.2 carrera motor produced 175 psi, 3.0 with a certain piston an combustion chamber might produce x compression, etc. I'm just curious if someone slipped s pistons in this 2.0 since the compression was a bit higher than expected.
sixnotfour
Iron fins for T, Aluminum fins for E or S,,On the cylinders, view rom below.
Great looking 914-6
welcome.png
Todd230
Great! Thank you. I have iron cylinders.
brant
you've already got it figured out...

but also remember compression numbers vary depending on what altitude the car is residing at during the test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.