Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Compression Numbers for 73 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
Sorry, I am new to this thing. Any thoughts on these numbers? Good or bad?

110, 120, 110, 115
Black22
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 18 2013, 08:17 PM) *

110, 120, 110, 115

Seem ok to me. There are more miles on that engine. Are you sure it's a 1.8L. In '73 1.7 and 2.0 were available.

About your avatar name...are you Chamorro?
Kaduku
QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 18 2013, 09:19 PM) *

110, 120, 110, 115

Seem ok to me. There are more miles on that engine. Are you sure it's a 1.8L. In '73 1.7 and 2.0 were available.

Lol Hafa Adai, yes Tao Tao Guahan. Actually Flip but born and raised there.

The engine has probably over a 100k on it. It's a long story, but the PO changed out the 1.7 engine in the early 90s. The original engine may have had a dropped valve, and he owned a VW dealership that had a bunch of engines laying around, so he picked he best one and installed it. At least that's what I was told.

I will eventually install a good working 2.0 one day.

Black22
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 18 2013, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 18 2013, 09:19 PM) *

110, 120, 110, 115

Lol Hafa Adai, yes Tao Tao Guahan. Actually Flip but born and raised there.

The engine has probably over a 100k on it. It's a long story, but the PO changed out the 1.7 engine in the early 90s. The original engine may have had a dropped valve, and he owned a VW dealership that had a bunch of engines laying around, so he picked he best one and installed it. At least that's what I was told.

I will eventually install a good working 2.0 one day.

Well then, Hafa Adai and Hoy! I'm Irish/Mexican and lived on Saipan for 10 yrs! When I saw kaduku I laughed! My girlfriend, who was Chamorro, always said that to me. I guess we're both kaduku for getting involved in these little cars. Others here will give you a better opinion of your numbers, but it will be good for the short term at least. Suwerte.
Black22
Just did a search to verify. This comes from a respectable member here on a different thread about compression numbers.

"You want to see 110 PSI or more, generally. Mine were at 100 PSI and the engine was pretty well worn out.

Additionally, you want to see the numbers be as close as possible. Within about a 10% variation is generally cool.

--DD"
Dasnowman

I just did a compression test on my car on the weekend that was sitting 20+ years before I bought i....turned out to be 145-150-145-150... I'm a happy camper considering all I had to go on is what the guy on Craigslist said that it was rebuilt 20+ years ago before it was put in storage. And beleive it's a 1.7 not sure if it was over built or not also the block was stamped but missing one #? so it might have been built from a fresh block?
Kaduku
Thank you for all your input, I am learning much more mechanically than I did when I was into MGBs.
Kaduku

Others here will give you a better opinion of your numbers, but it will be good for the short term at least.

So tell me how much longer will she live? If I drive it like 1500 miles a year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.