Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: EB Case Type 4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I came into an EB case type 4 motor today. Research says its a 1.7 914 or 412 motor. It may be seized. I put some oil in the plug holes, but I am not optimistic.

Anyway, it has a shorter mount bar (shorter than a 914 bar), most of it's tin (missing the back -er - front piece by the flywheel) and complete exhaust.

How do I tell if it has tin for a 412 or a bus or ?? Is that short mount bar good for 911/912/VW applications?

TIA

Cap'n Krusty
T4 tin has different exterior edges than 914 tin. Look at the perimeter profile. The oil filler hole is low on the case like a bus engine (near the taco plate). The HEs are short, as the muffler is tucked up against the fan shroud, and they're far smaller than bus HEs. The short mount is good for T4s, being far too short for bus applications, and way different from that of a 914. Bus bars have massive hangers welded on the ends, and they're longer than 914 mounts.

The Cap'n
KaptKaos
No HEs, just headers that go straight to the muffler. Muffler tucks up in front of the fan shroud.

Filler - the tower doesn't have one on it. Come to think of it, I didn't look closely at it. Dipstick is in same place.

Will check the tin tomorrow.

Thanks Cap'n
JeffBowlsby
EB cases for 914s were 1973, California only, with lower compression pistons
KaptKaos
@ Cap'n - It definitely doesn't have a bus style filler. Just looked. It's 914 style. What did the 412 use?

@ Jeff - I read that it was also used in the VW 412. The engine mount bar looks just like a 914 bar, except shorter. I think that's what has me curious.

Also, exhaust headers have 1.7/1.8 type flanges on them. Muffler looks like a late bus muffler.
euro911
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
dfelz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 19 2013, 01:46 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 19 2013, 01:29 AM) *

@ Cap'n - It definitely doesn't have a bus style filler. Just looked. It's 914 style. What did the 412 use?

@ Jeff - I read that it was also used in the VW 412. The engine mount bar looks just like a 914 bar, except shorter. I think that's what has me curious.

Also, exhaust headers have 1.7/1.8 type flanges on them. Muffler looks like a late bus muffler.

A 411/412 engine wouldn't have a 914 style oil filler it would be just a flat sealed breather. There is a removable hatch/floor section only about an inch above that point on the engine.
Oil fill was in the rear door sill via a steel and rubber tube to the bottom right corner (facing pulley) and that area would be machined on the case.
Also if it is a 411/412 engine it would not be machined for a dipstick.

IPB Image

IPB Image
KaptKaos
Pretty sure it's a 914 1.7. Heres a pic of the underside with the mount bar and exhaust.

Click to view attachment

Its hard to see the mount bar, but it may have been cut/welded. Will know more later.

Also, motor seems to be seized. There's a lot of water in the case.

I plan to tear this down this week/weekend.
euro911
Dude, you missed class tonight - a Snap-On truck was there and they guy was giving away free tool samples !!!

Kidding laugh.gif
KaptKaos
That was just mean.

I've been laid up since last thursday with a cold that's turned into a sinus infection. got meds this morning. feeling a little better already.

will give you a call tomorrow.
euro911
You need to stop snorting those school kid's germs shades.gif

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.
KaptKaos
pics incoming...

I believe the engine is seized. When I drained the oil, about a gallon of water came out.

However, there are some interesting parts.

Those headers are stainless. The muffler is solid.

The mount bar looks like a side shift bar that was cut and re-welded. It's nicely done. Not sure what you'd use it for.

The clutch and pressure plate are good. (not shown)

Flywheel looks good. Haven't gotten it off yet.

And the Fan has no broken fins!! smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

I think who ever was doing this build was trying to do it right.
JeffBowlsby
I see what looks like rust on those 'SS' headers...no? Some grade of stainless rust, but does a magnet stick to these?
KaptKaos
Jeff - on the flange facing you, that's left-over gasket. There is rust on the bracket. Gonna grab a magnet in a few mins.

EDIT: Umm... yeah. Not stainless, but coated with something.
KaptKaos
This is what happens when there is water left sitting. Likely the first of several pics.

Click to view attachment
rnellums
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 23 2013, 07:28 PM) *

This is what happens when there is water left sitting. Likely the first of several pics.

Click to view attachment

Looks good to me. Throw some marvel mystery oil in there and fire it up.
Kirmizi
QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 23 2013, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 23 2013, 07:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks good to me. Throw some marvel mystery oil in there and fire it up.

I think Marvel Mystery oil might kill the aquatic critters icon8.gif
VaccaRabite
Was is sitting in a lake? I looks like it is growing barnicals.
AE354803
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 22 2013, 04:17 PM) *

pics incoming...

However, there are some interesting parts.

Those headers are stainless. The muffler is solid!

The mount bar looks like a side shift bar that was cut and re-welded. It's nicely done. Not sure what you'd use it for.

Click to view attachment

I think who ever was doing this build was trying to do it right.

I'm wondering if that mount bar would fit a SWB 911/912, it looks like it might be the right dimensions as well as the headers/muffler.

If you have no need for them and they will fit I would be extremely interested in the mounting bar and possibly the exhaust as well. I'll go take some measurements and repost in a few hours.
KaptKaos
Stupid question time: Has anyone ever seen a motor this bad run? Unless someone knows otherwise, I will just tear it apart and salvage what I can.

Speak now or forever......
KaptKaos
Click to view attachment

barf.gif
KaptKaos
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.