Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Bushing kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I am pretty sure that I need any and all bushing used in a side shift 75, 1.8L, L-jet. However, neither AA nor PP have a package that comes out and says THESE ARE ALL of the bushings. I see 3 bushing kits, 5 bushing kits, 7 bushing kits, single bushings. Emailed AA and got no reply. The guy at AA's ebay site did reply (still no help). He directed me to buy their tech notes book, which I have. And BTW it has no complete bushing list either. stirthepot.gif

Common sense may tell me to buy the largest kit, but I need details. Does anyone have a layout, pictures, a website link, anything that will definitively tell me what I need and where they go, what they are named.

You see, my car is completely dismantled, so I can't just look at the old ones. I can, of course, see where a bushing might go, but I don't know the names of those locations. I am not from Missouri, but I do need someone to SHOW-ME. confused24.gif

Thanks,
Clark
flash914
PEL-SKS914-02N Pelican parts super kit for stock side shift. This will have all the bushings you need. Firewall or through body (1) Cage or coupler (2) Rear shift rod bushing (1) Rear ball cup (1) Gordon
john_g
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 19 2013, 09:54 AM) *

I am pretty sure that I need any and all bushing used in a side shift 75, 1.8L, L-jet. However, neither AA nor PP have a package that comes out and says THESE ARE ALL of the bushings. I see 3 bushing kits, 5 bushing kits, 7 bushing kits, single bushings. Emailed AA and got no reply. The guy at AA's ebay site did reply (still no help). He directed me to buy their tech notes book, which I have. And BTW it has no complete bushing list either. stirthepot.gif

Common sense may tell me to buy the largest kit, but I need details. Does anyone have a layout, pictures, a website link, anything that will definitively tell me what I need and where they go, what they are named.

You see, my car is completely dismantled, so I can't just look at the old ones. I can, of course, see where a bushing might go, but I don't know the names of those locations. I am not from Missouri, but I do need someone to SHOW-ME. confused24.gif

Thanks,
Clark

Here's a Pelican how-to article on replacing the three main bushings in the linkage:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm

And here's the parts page from Pelican for the bushing kit:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...t_pg1.htm#item0

You want the bushing kit for the 73-76 cars - five bushings and two set screws.
malcolm2
QUOTE(flash914 @ Feb 19 2013, 12:06 PM) *

PEL-SKS914-02N Pelican parts super kit for stock side shift. This will have all the bushings you need. Firewall or through body (1) Cage or coupler (2) Rear shift rod bushing (1) Rear ball cup (1) Gordon

Thanks. I don't remember seeing that kit. I dug deeper and there are good descriptions of each. Just what the Dr. ordered.

Clark
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(john_g @ Feb 19 2013, 01:11 PM) *

Here's a Pelican how-to article on replacing the three main bushings in the linkage:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm

And here's the parts page from Pelican for the bushing kit:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...t_pg1.htm#item0

You want the bushing kit for the 73-76 cars - five bushings and two set screws.

I would suggest changing the rear trans mounts too. Pelican has the 911 sport engine mounts that work as a trans mount for the 914.

I noticed mine had quite a bit of deflection in them even though they weren't torn. That deflection = binding.

I did this after replacing all of the shift bushings and felt there was another incremental improvement in shifting.
hot_shoe914
I just had a bushing kit arrive in the mail today. Contact Johnathan at GPR. He will hook you up with what you need. I got the firewall, tranny, shifter, coupler the whole works. Hope to get them installed before the ax this weekend.
euro911
If you can afford it, go with a poly-bronze bushing in the shift console on the trans and the pair on the rear shift rod coupler aft of the firewall ...they'll last a lot longer idea.gif
cary
Ditto on the poly-bronze if its in your budget.

I also installed Chris's firewall bushing/bearing. It make a tremendous difference.

Honestly I've never changed the bushing at the base of the shifter. I think I have 3 or 4 them in one of my parts drawers. Might have to give that a shot.
maf914
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 20 2013, 04:58 AM) *

Ditto on the poly-bronze if its in your budget.

Could someone explain what the poly-bronze option is? I am aware of the typical poly/plastic shift linkage bushings which are available, and the bronze console bushing (which I have), but I am not aware of poly-bronze shift linkage bushings.
euro911
Poly bronze shifter bushings are oil impregnated and machined to much closer tolerances than the OEM or aftermarket plastic bushings. They last longer and provide more accurate shifting. Every little bit helps. I also have them in the coupling at the front of the rear shift rod.

If you have a bronze console bushing, it's more than likely poly bronze.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 22 2013, 01:59 AM) *

Poly bronze shifter bushings are oil impregnated and machined to much closer tolerances than the OEM or aftermarket plastic bushings. They last longer and provide more accurate shifting. Every little bit helps. I also have them in the coupling at the front of the rear shift rod.

Hey Mark,
Does anyone make one other than Patrick Motorsports? Can you recommend a supplier?
Eric_Shea
"Poly" bronze is a proprietary Elephant racing bushing with a layer of polyurethane wrapped around it to take up the slack on inconsistent suspension components. biggrin.gif

Oil impregnated bronze or standard bronze is the more common bushing for this application.

Cleaning up your shift linkage (in terms of bushings and slop) is the single best thing to do to improve shifting quality.
maf914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2013, 08:42 AM) *

"Poly" bronze is a proprietary Elephant racing bushing with a layer of polyurethane wrapped around it to take up the slack on inconsistent suspension components. biggrin.gif

Oil impregnated bronze or standard bronze is the more common bushing for this application.

Thanks, Eric. That is what I was thinking when the term poly-bronze was used.
euro911
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 22 2013, 08:33 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 22 2013, 01:59 AM) *

Hey Mark,
Does anyone make one other than Patrick Motorsports? Can you recommend a supplier?
THOMAS made the bushings for the old 'BB'.
Pelican sells brass coupling bushing replacements (PEL-BUSH-BR) Click here ... I don't see the shift console bushings listed in the catalog

Thanks for setting us straight on the 'Poly', Eric (EDIT: Someone beat me to it)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.