Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help with interior lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
When I first got the car last year, all lights worked. Now, none of the white lights on the dash work but the colored lights for the turn signals, headlight indicators and gas gauge are working. Backpad light doesn't work either. Any ideas of where to look? thanks!
Cupomeat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2013, 02:23 PM) *

When I first got the car last year, all lights worked. Now, none of the white lights on the dash work but the colored lights for the turn signals, headlight indicators and gas gauge are working. Backpad light doesn't work either. Any ideas of where to look? thanks!

They are two separate circuits.

DASH LIGHTS - The dash lights are driven from the headlight switch and are powered through a rheostat dimmer circuit. Often the windings fail and the switch will only light the dash lights on the full on mode, so try that first.

If that doesn't work, check your fuses, make sure the wire is still attached to the switch and then (if it still doesn't work) go find the ground as it would be rare for all bulbs to blow at once.

BACKPAD LIGHT - The backpad light is powered 12v+ all the time and the ground is switched at the doors. Check that it has 12v+ power and then if it does and the bulbis good, trace down the ground path.
It is not unusual for a door switch to be corroded and not working.

Good luck as I've had my 914 for 26 yrs and I've never seen the backpad light work... I guess it was never on the priority list.
worn
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Feb 19 2013, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2013, 02:23 PM) *

They are two separate circuits.

DASH LIGHTS - The dash lights are driven from the headlight switch and are powered through a rheostat dimmer circuit. Often the windings fail and the switch will only light the dash lights on the full on mode, so try that first.

If that doesn't work, check your fuses, make sure the wire is still attached to the switch and then (if it still doesn't work) go find the ground as it would be rare for all bulbs to blow at once.

BACKPAD LIGHT - The backpad light is powered 12v+ all the time and the ground is switched at the doors. Check that it has 12v+ power and then if it does and the bulbis good, trace down the ground path.
It is not unusual for a door switch to be corroded and not working.

Good luck as I've had my 914 for 26 yrs and I've never seen the backpad light work... I guess it was never on the priority list.

You would be delighted by the backpad light coming on getting into the car at night! Mine is LED, and it lights up the interior so I can actually see what I am doing getting in. It's worth the two phillips screws and the scraping of the switch contacts, which are usually the problem.
mepstein
Forgot to say that only my low beams work. High beams are dark. Also the fans in the engine compartment and front cowl don't work. All the other exterior lights work. Related?

PS - I'm not an electrical guy so go easy on me with suggested testing.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2013, 01:43 PM) *

Forgot to say that only my low beams work. High beams are dark. Also the fans in the engine compartment and front cowl don't work. All the other exterior lights work. Related?

PS - I'm not an electrical guy so go easy on me with suggested testing.

Verify 12V at the light. Then go after the corroded door switches ( use a safety razor to scrape the pointy contacts and don't let the wires fall into the hinge post ! )
The lamp switch has three positions. Off. On. And switched by either door.
Verify that the correct bulb is in place !.....or risk melting your light and roasting the surrounding upholstery.
76-914
2 grounds to the backrest light. clean all your fuses. both fans are down???
hot_shoe914
Try turning the knob to see if the dash lights come on. poke.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 19 2013, 09:37 PM) *

Really? Yes, I tried that. All this stuff worked when I bought the car a year ago so I'm thinking it must be some connections, not corrosion.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2013, 08:47 PM) *

Really? Yes, I tried that. All this stuff worked when I bought the car a year ago so I'm thinking it must be some connections, not corrosion.

I assume you have checked all the fuses? confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 19 2013, 10:40 PM) *

Yes
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2013, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 19 2013, 10:40 PM) *

Yes

You have alot of things that are unrelated going on. Have you checked the fuse ends, and fuse block tangs for corrosion ?
mepstein
[quote name='scotty b' date='Feb 19 2013, 11:23 PM' post='1822961']
[quote name='mepstein' post='1822955' date='Feb 19 2013, 07:48 PM']
[quote name='hot_shoe914' post='1822952' date='Feb 19 2013, 10:40 PM']
[quote name='mepstein' post='1822937' date='Feb 19 2013, 08:47 PM']
[quote name='hot_shoe914' post='1822933' date='Feb 19 2013, 09:37 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes

You have alot of things that are unrelated going on.
---Story of my life
Have you checked the fuse ends, and fuse block tangs for corrosion ?
---Yes and sprayed on some cleaner/lube but that is the former location of the mouse nest hiding under the steering column so I guess I need to do some more checking around in that area.

Backpad light works now.
Eric_Shea
I have a "Lectrician" buddy with a Fluke meter and a penchant for cold beer and loud guitars. Works for me. (Hi Dave wavey.gif )
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 20 2013, 06:11 AM) *

I have a "Lectrician" buddy with a Fluke meter and a penchant for cold beer and loud guitars. Works for me. (Hi Dave wavey.gif )

WTF.gif I'm sure Mark apppreciates that utterly worthless post dry.gif
Eric_Shea
It's not worthless!! You Are!! mad.gif

Ya need to read between the lines Scooter. It says "get a good meter and start chasing down leads, and, if yur stoopid like I am, find someone who's smert and will do it for a few cold brewski's" That's what it says...

thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.