Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California 1976 2.0 Engine into a 73 Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
I may acquire a 73 914 with a1.8 engine soon. There is a 2.0 engine from California advertised. I live in California but of course smog checks don't apply to a 73. The question is how easy would it be to remove the emissions crap from this 2.0 and use this engine. Or should I just look for a 2.0 from a 73 or a 74.
SLITS
Same engine except it has holes in the exhaust ports for air injection that will need to be plugged in some manner.

We are talking about '73 - '74 2.0L vs '75 - '76 2.0L
Kaduku
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 19 2013, 12:36 PM) *

Same engine except it has holes in the exhaust ports for air injection that will need to be plugged in some manner.

We are talking about '73 - '74 2.0L vs '75 - '76 2.0L

Its a 76 2.0 engine into a 73 that currently has a 1.8.

The seller said the engine will come with everything I will need including the ICBM, heater box, and engine mounts.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 19 2013, 12:31 PM) *

I may acquire a 73 914 with a1.8 engine soon. There is a 2.0 engine from California advertised. I live in California but of course smog checks don't apply to a 73. The question is how easy would it be to remove the emissions crap from this 2.0 and use this engine. Or should I just look for a 2.0 from a 73 or a 74.

Legally speaking, if you use the '76 engine you need to keep all the smog stuff on it that was mandatory for '76.
Emission are not for the year of the car but rather for the year of the engine.

And your '73 is not exempt from having to comply with emission standards, it's only exempt from the regular testing!

I went through the same with my car. The car is a '70 but my engine is from '95. Legally, the engine has to retain all emissions equipment that was mandatory in '95.

driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 19 2013, 12:44 PM) *

...the engine will come with everything I will need including the ICBM....

I am positive you mean the ECU... laugh.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 19 2013, 04:24 PM) *

You sure he doesn't have a nuclear missile in there? These engines are known to blow up! lol-2.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 19 2013, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 19 2013, 04:24 PM) *

You sure he doesn't have a nuclear missile in there? These engines are known to blow up! lol-2.gif

Lol thats what seller wrote confused24.gif

I did noticed that and thought of nukes too.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3629184879.html

AZ914
Like Ron said... pull the air pump and the air distribution pipes, plug the holes (bolts or the ball bearing/cap method) and you should be good to go. I'd probably swap the ECU too.
On a 73, they won't be looking for the CAT so you should be fine.
Kaduku
Thanks guys. This site is great!
toolguy
Sir Andy made note of an important detail about Calif and smog exemptions. . . early cars are exempt for the Bi Annual inspection, but are not exempt from meeting their designed smog limits. . . and any car that is modified from the original configuration is subject to inspection and must meet the smog limits, without regard to cost. .

Little known fact is that the CHP has mobile smog inspection stations, selecting cars a random. . They set up roadblocks and can look at any car they chose.
L73
Yep, got pulled into one of those mobile stations....
He asked what year and I said 75 Doooggg !!!
He laughed and I left.... Never asked to see any paper work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.