Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with tire size!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
otifs76
Hello all...

I'm a newbie, so please bear with me.

I have a '76 2.0. It's been a work in progress for about two and a half years (life tends to get in the way).

So far, I have swapped the fuel injection for Webers, redone the entire interior in black leather, with black suede inserts on the seats, wrapped the dashboard, and headliner (bottom of targa top) in suede. All with red french stitching. All I'm missing for the interior are the RS panels, and I'm waiting on good deal for those, so if anyone here has a or knows of a set, please let me know. But that's not the reason for my posting.

I just finished putting the front suspension off an '85 911 along with the front rotors, calipers etc. I moved my front calipers to the back, and had the hub drilled to accomodate the 5 lug wheel. I have a set of Fuchs 16X7, and 16X6 to put on the car. Only problem is that I am unsure as to the tire size. A local rim shop told me to use 205/50's in th back, and 195/50's in the front. It just seems to me that that would be way too low a profile. I saw a white 914 with polished fuchs soomewhere on this site ( i believe it was the car of the month?), and would like to have that look.

On another note, is it possible to replace my rubber bumpers with chrome one's. If I can, what would I need to accomplish that?

I will post pics soon of the car and all I've done to it.

Thanks to everyone in advance for all your help.

Ralph
Miami, FL
AZ914
The 7's are a tight fit, you may need the 50s. I'm running 205/55s on all 4 corners (all 6" wide). I calculated that to be as close to the stock rolling diameter as possible. Lots of guys run 50's so it should be alright.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.
MoveQik
I think the 195/50's will be too small on that 6" wheel. I run 205/50's on my 16x6's and I think they are a perfect fit. Opinions vary but I don't think that 7" Fuchs will fit under stock fenders without a little work. As for the 205/50 on that wheel, it might look a little small. When I had 7's on the back, I ran a 205/55 and it looked really sharp but that is probably a matter of preference. That's my .02.
Elliot Cannon
205/50 on a 7inch wheel fit (at least on mine) but required rolling the fender lip and pulling the fender out bit. A lot depends on the back spacing.
otifs76
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 20 2013, 03:36 PM) *

I think the 195/50's will be too small on that 6" wheel. I run 205/50's on my 16x6's and I think they are a perfect fit. Opinions vary but I don't think that 7" Fuchs will fit under stock fenders without a little work. As for the 205/50 on that wheel, it might look a little small. When I had 7's on the back, I ran a 205/55 and it looked really sharp but that is probably a matter of preference. That's my .02.

Thanks to all for the input...

The trailing arms were modified to allow for the 7" wheel in the rear. That way the fenders would require very little work, if any.

I'm thinking the 205/55's in the rear, and 205/50's in the front. Should look right.

Would you happen to have any pics of your car with the tire setups you mentioned?

Jeffs9146
QUOTE(otifs76 @ Feb 20 2013, 01:21 PM) *

The trailing arms were modified to allow for the 7" wheel in the rear. That way the fenders would require very little work, if any.

I'm thinking the 205/55's in the rear, and 205/50's in the front. Should look right.

Would you happen to have any pics of your car with the tire setups you mentioned?

What did you do to "modify" the trailing arms?

I am running 205/55 16's on 7" Fuchs all the way around and have to roll one of the lips to get the rears to fit! My wheels have the 23.3et offset, the fronts are the flat look and the rears are the 944 deep look!
carr914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 20 2013, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(otifs76 @ Feb 20 2013, 01:21 PM) *

What did you do to "modify" the trailing arms?

Modified Trailing Arms? confused24.gif
Grelber
I run 205 x 55's on 16 x 6 Fuchs on all four corners. These BARELY fit on the back with non-rolled fenders.
sixnotfour

Modified Trailing Arms? confused24.gif

Here is my set of modified arms.. uses bus axles = cheep
Jeffs9146
Your 7's with 205/55 16's should fit under the stock fenders with that if they don't hit the inner fender well! confused24.gif You might even be able to go larger with 8's and 215's! blink.gif

Interesting concept!
otifs76
That's how mine were modified also. I'll post some pics once it's all done.

By the way, Jeff, love your car! Clean!
Harpo
This is perfect timing. I have also converted over to the five lug set up and have 16 inch Fuchs (6&7). The tire selection is limited but I'm leaning towards the Yokahama AVS

David
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(otifs76 @ Feb 21 2013, 08:14 AM) *

By the way, Jeff, love your car! Clean!

Thanks! 3.0L SC FI Motor!

I look forward to seeing more on this trailing arm modification!

I have a set of 8's I would like to put on!
sixnotfour
I can run any 7's with a 205/55, no fender mods.

I mainly did it for Fuchs 15x7 and American racing 15x7's and some wierd offset Revolutions 15x6.5.
I dont think an 8 will fit with out fender work.
cgnj
Ok, have a set of 16x7 stored in the garage. Interseted in this trailing arm mod. Anyone know the story?

Thanks
mittelmotor
I squeezed a 225/45-15 on a 15x7 ATS wheel in back, but it required rolling the lip and pulling the whole fender out slightly. It still maintains a very stock appearance. 205/50-15s up front on the same wheels with no rubbing whatsoever. I wanted the staggered setup to handle V-8 bhp & torque.

If I ever decide to repaint the car, I think I'll spring for some custom Tangerine Racing metal rear flares that look pretty stock yet give a little more breathing room for the tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.