Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this car worth the buy it now price?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adiokyro
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-GROUP-/14...forcev4exp=true

somewhat close?
billh1963
Looks nice. You need to see the jackpoints/longs. You also need to see pictures of the trunks (without stuff in it) and of the hell hole under the battery.

There is rust on the sail panel...it will be much more widespread than the bubble itself.

Has carbs versus FI.

A '73 2.0 is a desirable car. You need much more information.
914itis
Looks nice, it is a carbureted car. He's willing to pay shipping. If the longs are rust free, I think it's a good deal.
Eric_Shea
Nope. Not with that bubble on the door handle/sail panel area and the rust at the base of the door. Those, my friend, are what you call "Icebergs".

Very nice, clean original car but it will need serious metal work and paint again. Not cheap.
dakotaewing
I agree with Eric -
nathansnathan
That is way more than surface rust. I would say no based on the poster's use of the caps lock key - those people can not be trusted. dry.gif
brant
I will only buy a car that I can see the rockers off of

really you need to know, and any seller unwilling to show that is either hiding something or ignorant.
stuttgart46
It's not a bad looking car but I'd really like to see the floor pans and rockers. It's a shame about the rust bubbles.
adiokyro
dammit. I want it.
76-914
You'll get it too if your not careful shopping for these cars. sheeplove.gif I would limit my search to CA & AZ cars if your buying "blind". I agree w/ Erc and Dakota.
worn
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Feb 20 2013, 01:25 PM) *

dammit. I want it.

Well I have acted on that impulse. In addition to what the other have said try to push something sharp through the back firewall, just above the floor behind the passenger seat. Gently lift up the back vinyl from the carpet. A lot of 914s are no longer joined together in this region. Ask me how I know this.
Tom_T
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 20 2013, 01:12 PM) *

That is way more than surface rust. I would say no based on the poster's use of the caps lock key - those people can not be trusted. dry.gif

Well, not always.....could be bad eyes too. blink.gif
When my Dad was alive he used to do everything in caps so he could read it as he typed.

However, in this case I would tend to agree.... and ....what the f is a "914 S Group"!!?? dry.gif
The guy may just not know about 914s, doesn't or does & is puffing, or whatever?

But you'd have to REALLY look this one over & buy it as a project if you have the skills, time & budget to fix what all it will need done. (BTW Nathan, my all caps was for emphasis! biggrin.gif )

Also agree with the hidden rust issues & why converted to carbs, etc. - all things that lower the value on 73-74 914-2.0s.

PS - here...download & use this when you're looking at 914s - even when looking at these online evil-bay "deals" -

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

Thank Jeff for his work on finding or producing & posting this at his website! beerchug.gif
JawjaPorsche
This car has been up north for its entire life. I would definitely get it inspected before pulling the trigger. Maybe someone on this forum can help or knows someone in the area that look at the car for you.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 20 2013, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 20 2013, 01:12 PM) *

Well, not always.....could be bad eyes too. blink.gif
When my Dad was alive he used to do everything in caps so he could read it as he typed.

However, in this case I would tend to agree.... and ....what the f is a "914 S Group"!!?? dry.gif
The guy may just not know about 914s, doesn't or does & is puffing, or whatever?

But you'd have to REALLY look this one over & buy it as a project if you have the skills, time & budget to fix what all it will need done. (BTW Nathan, my all caps was for emphasis! biggrin.gif )

Also agree with the hidden rust issues & why converted to carbs, etc. - all things that lower the value on 73-74 914-2.0s.

PS - here...download & use this when you're looking at 914s - even when looking at these online evil-bay "deals" -

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

Thank Jeff for his work on finding or producing & posting this at his website! beerchug.gif

I may smile, but it is no joke. Avoid all-caps ads on ebay, craigslist etc - you WILL be better off.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 20 2013, 05:20 PM) *

I may smile, but it is no joke. Avoid all-caps ads on ebay, craigslist etc - you WILL be better off.

agree.gif I hate that shit. Maybe its just me being the son of a writer, but at this day in age, people have got to start learning how to use correct punctuation and grammar, especially when selling something. To me, it suggests laziness most of the time, and a lazy seller means they were probably a lazy owner.
rgolia
Go for it....don't let the left coasters scare you off. Yes there will be more rust than you think and can see, but based on what I see, it looks fixable without stripping the entire car. Ask me how I know, my teener spent six years on the east coast, then 5 out west (san jose) and then 2 more back east before it was retired to the garage. It took some welding and grinding, but it is a solid car now. beer3.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving.gif
JoeSharp
No way... It will take you thousends to fix it. It is a can of worms.
adiokyro
I could do 4k more and my power tools and por15??? unless anyone has a awesome 1974 or earlier 2.0 for 10k ish??????
JoeSharp
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Feb 20 2013, 04:04 PM) *

I could do 4k more and my power tools and por15??? unless anyone has a awesome 1974 or earlier 2.0 for 10k ish??????

Yes. But I bought it. You need to come out here for a vacation and buy a car. Only cost 1K to ship it home.
adiokyro
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 20 2013, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(adiokyro @ Feb 20 2013, 04:04 PM) *

Yes. But I bought it. You need to come out here for a vacation and buy a car. Only cost 1K to ship it home.

Oh Im just over in oakland ca---I actually have a full FI system for a 2.0 laying around...
Hine62
based on the passenger door pic, I would say there is a problem in the hell hole area. Looking at the underside at the jack points doesnt look good either. this coud easily cost another $4,000 to fix.

see if you can get some close up pics of these areas.
hot_shoe914
You want a sweet '73 914 2.0 with 39K original miles for 10K? I have one I might let go of. Will need a repaint to be perfect though but looks great for a driver. You won't have to do any work to it though. I might even be willing to drive it out to you for expenses.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
There is definitely an East coast, West coast thing going on here. That is a $3500 car on the West coast. East coasters must have more money to burn...

THAT CAR HAS WAY MORE RUST THAN YOU THINK!!!

To get it fixed correctly and painted (on the West coast) you will spend more than $10,000. Walk away and find a West coast car. We do not salt the roads here and cars have significantly less rust on the average. In fact, there is an orange 914 on SF Bay craigs list for $10k that is way better than that one! Pops up every couple weeks.

Or this one at your price point... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3620925007.html

Keep searching. Avoid rust bubbles at all costs!
flippa
I wouldn't touch that car for that price. Might be a nice car, but you never know. I have owned parts cars with better looking bodies.

I will guarantee that there are going to be alot of unpleasant surprises hiding under those bubbles and repaint.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Feb 20 2013, 12:47 PM) *

Hey, if the "porsche-doctor" is selling it, then you know it's terminal!!
thomasotten
It is interesting to me that they don't show you the right side of the engine compartment, directly under the battery, typically referred to as the Hell hole. But they do show you a photo of the left side of the engine compartment, which hardly ever has serious rust. (Heaven Hole?)

I would think about that blue one posted above. You know, blue looks better than orange anyway. Well, most of the time. :-)
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Feb 20 2013, 03:47 PM) *

Gladly sell you mine! Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.