Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Cable Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLKWrx
I'm working on the replacement of the stock throttle cable with a Terry cable. The original bound up on removal pretty badly and the result was, I'm assuming, a piece of the old cable still left on the car. Does this look right? How does the Terry Cable attach? Do I just need to get rid of that brass looking piece and press on the Terry Cable? Any help is appreciated.

-- Steve

Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
You need to remove that yellow part before you put the new cable on, it was part of the original cable!
SLKWrx
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 20 2013, 01:42 PM) *

You need to remove that yellow part before you put the new cable on, it was part of the original cable!

I figured as much. Is it just slid on? I attempted an easy removal and it feels pretty secure, wanted to check in before I moved to more drastic measures. Does the new cable get glued on or just placed?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Feb 20 2013, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 20 2013, 01:42 PM) *

I figured as much. Is it just slid on? I attempted an easy removal and it feels pretty secure, wanted to check in before I moved to more drastic measures. Does the new cable get glued on or just placed?

It is just slid on!

Use a pair of plyers to twist as you pull it off!
TheCabinetmaker
Yep. Like Jeff said
Gint
Just did that a while back. The collar from the old cable stayed on the tube. Pulled it right off and installed the new Terry cable. Done.
SLKWrx
Ok, got the bottom piece on, however I'm still short... Am I doing something wrong here?

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Feb 23 2013, 04:38 PM) *

Ok, got the bottom piece on, however I'm still short... Am I doing something wrong here?

Click to view attachment

Looks like you need to move up one bolt and to the other side of the case.
SLKWrx
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 23 2013, 04:53 PM) *

Looks like you need to move up one bolt and to the other side of the case.

When I tried that, I got either an extreme angle or no room for the cable to actually retract. I'll try it again in the morning to see if I missed something.

-- Steve
Mike Bellis
Spin the bracket around when you move it.
McMark
When you put the clevis on the front of the cable (at the pedals), did you thread it on all the way? That point is an adjustment as well. You can see if you get enough slack by unthreading the clevis a bit. You could also run the bell crank the other way around, so the cable attaches on the 3&4 side.
Gint
agree.gif

You want all the cable you can get. I never felt like I had enough cable for use with carbs though regardless, so I ordered a Terry cable and had them make it 4" longer in the sheath and the cable.

That bracket can mount in various locations along the spline of the case using the case bolts. You just have to flip it. And I bent my bracket a tad to get the proper angle.
SLKWrx
Ok, thank you all for the help and support. Combination of problems/magic random fix. I rethreaded the cable about 10 times to ensure that it wasn't wound around the clutch cable, tried every different permutation of the bracket and finally the setup of the bracket on the other side of the block closer to the bellhousing worked.

Thanks again, couldn't have done it without this group!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.