Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 value for insurance purposes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgolia
Looking to up the value of my 914 on my insurance policy. They are asking for supporting info. Does anyone know what best to provide them. I would like to get them to set the value at 15k. My teener is a 74 2.0 with the appearance group and is pretty much stock except for the carbs.
Dasnowman
QUOTE(rgolia @ Feb 21 2013, 01:34 PM) *

Looking to up the value of my 914 on my insurance policy. They are asking for supporting info. Does anyone know what best to provide them. I would like to get them to set the value at 15k. My teener is a 74 2.0 with the appearance group and is pretty much stock except for the carbs.

Up here in Canada on older cars or trailers we set the insurance value at $xx,xxx dollar amount and that's what it's cover for, because that's the replacement insurance cost. You might also be able to get a third party to do a value assesment on it Porsche shop or Dealer that knows these cars, and take that with you before you insure it.
somd914
Who are you insuring with? Is your car used for pleasure, i.e. low mileage, not your daily? Hagerty, Leland West, and the other classic car insurance companies let you set a guaranteed value (within reason of course) that they will pay if the car is totaled.

And now for wishful thinking NADA says you car is worth $16,800. I haven't seen your car, but given what others have sold for I'd say they are rather high and most insurance companies who insure on a book value will have all sorts of other data in their "book" to bring the price way down.
jesiv
You need to get a policy with "Agreed Value". I have this with my 75 with State Farm.

Regards,

james
Spoke
When my 914 was in an accident, I gathered for-sale posts of a concourse (~17k), good (~8k), and ok (~4k) 914. Excellence mag has values of the same too.
76-914
I've got one at 16K and the other at 12K. Doubt I'd get it but I would rather negotiate down from a high point. It helps the other party feel good about the deal. rolleyes.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 21 2013, 01:59 PM) *

Who are you insuring with? Is your car used for pleasure, i.e. low mileage, not your daily? Hagerty, Leland West, and the other classic car insurance companies let you set a guaranteed value (within reason of course) that they will pay if the car is totaled.

agree.gif
... and some will now allow higher or unlimited mileage, depending on how you use it.

They may require you to get a professional appraiser in your area to set where your particular car falls within the values. As the OO - you should also have all sorts of documentation on actual miles on it, maintenance & upgrades, etc. to help bolster your claim.

Google the above insurers and check in the classic car magazines, Excellence, Panorama, etc. to check for some.

AAA in SoCal will also do an "exception" to their hard rule of 72 or older for their Classic Car insurance up to `89 MY for Porsches, but I'm not sure if theirs is Agreed or Stated Value - the later of which can get neggled down by "depreciation" as opposed to the agreed value being paid un-reduced. Check your local AAA for what they offer, since every state/region/area is different with them.

Whether Agreed or Stated, you'll probably waqnt to have an updated appraisal, since classic cars tend to go UP - NOT depreciate, except in bad economies & certain circumstances (e.g.: accitents, blown engine, etc.).

Here are links for the NADA & ?? valuation tools online, both of which are generally accepted as sources for market values in general, depending upon where in their levels a particular car falls....

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/197...arga-2-0/Values

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...eport?vc=879762

You'll need to update your MY/model & zip code at these links for your particular car using their "change...." links near the top.

popcorn[1].gif
rgolia
Thanks guys. I am with state farm and have been for many years. The car is registered as a classic in PA, limited miles, limited use, so the insurance is really low cost ($100/yr). I had it at 3k until I did the restore and then upped it to 7k last year.
Griffinroydonald
The insurance company I am with had a value put on my 1970 at 5K and the premium was based on the agreed value. They more or less let me set the value and didn't seem too picky about it.
somd914
QUOTE(rgolia @ Feb 21 2013, 04:34 PM) *

...They are asking for supporting info. Does anyone know what best to provide them.

One last thought here, they should be telling you what they want for supporting info, so ask them. Are they looking for a market analysis or work done on your car, or both? You said you've been through a restore, so I imagine you have a receipts at least for major items. Any photos of before, during, after? Once again, ask what they want.

And make sure the agreed value shows up on your policy in print and also make sure their definition of "agreed value" is in your policy paperwork.
reharvey
QUOTE(jesiv @ Feb 21 2013, 05:11 PM) *

You need to get a policy with "Agreed Value". I have this with my 75 with State Farm.

Regards,

james

agree.gif I have the same deal with State Farm and it's hard to beat.
mepstein
American modern home insurance - brokered by my long time home and auto insurance company - full coverage, 5,000 miles a year. 200 mile tow, $500 deductable, agreed value for $7500. $112/year. Must be a 2nd car, kept in a garage and only driven by me or my wife. Only needed a couple pictures of the car and a couple days to get up and running. Every extra thousand miles over 5K cost $3/year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.