Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chipped Tranny case fixable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dasnowman
Hi I didn't notice this when I bought the car as the cv's and clutch push rod was off case is chipped.

Since the car is a 71 I think it's a rear shifter and it leaks fluid but I did buy a gasket set and was going to replace them. But when I was cleaning the case up I notice that the clutch rod bracket on the case was broken off. What do you guys think, is this fixable? Anyone have a close up of what it's supposed to look like? That way I can take it to a shop and they might be able to weld or make a new one. Or is it even worth it being a tail shifter? Never had car running or shifting so don't know what the condition of tranny is in besides knowing it leaks.

I guess I might be needing one of the 914 tranny rebuild videos, nay have a used one they want to sell. I'm on a real tight budget and want to get car running for the summer.

IPB Image

ChrisFoley
nevermind
SLITS
If that is the 911/01 tranny, it is '70 - '71 only. It differs from the other 911 trannys in that it is the "pull clutch" 901 215 mm clutch.

That ring on the side cover is the mount for the clutch cable, though it appears that the clutch cable "shoe" has been added to make it fit a 914 and therefore the ring is useless.

You will find the serial number and type stamped into the bottom ridge of the case.

If you are talking about what looks to be a chip out of the case that is in the shadow, that's the intermediate plate and is replaceable.
Cap'n Krusty
A better picture would help us help you. Too much shadow, bad angle. More than one would be good.

The Cap'n
gms
EDIT: Sorry just repeated what Slits said
If you are referring to the loop on the side cover than there is nothing to worry about as long as the case is still sealed. that loop on the side cover was not on transmissions made after 1972
Click to view attachment
Dasnowman

Sorry not sure why it shows up so much better on my sceen then yours here!

On the casting where it bolts up to the engine, the serial # starts with 911, sorry wife took camera to work sad.gif so no photo's yet try to take some tonight.

IPB Image
speed metal army
Hey Snowman.Call me up and get all the free tail shifters you can handle.
Oh hey! and im 45 minutes away.
bye1.gif
sixnotfour
not used in a 914, its for a 911 pull clutch cable set up.
pcar916
Hmm, I don't know about the broken bit, but the tailpiece and speedo drive are not 911 artifacts.

If it's magnesium this is a hard thing to fix, if it's a aluminum then a new piece could be welded on and formed to whatever you want. Regardless it will be less trouble to get another case and transfer your internals to it. That would require a differential setup however, assuming your is in good condition. Add up the costs of that versus a good used box from a reputable dude (or dudette) and do the cheapest.

Good luck!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Feb 21 2013, 08:05 PM) *

Sorry not sure why it shows up so much better on my sceen then yours here!

On the casting where it bolts up to the engine, the serial # starts with 911, sorry wife took camera to work sad.gif so no photo's yet try to take some tonight.

IPB Image

It's not anything to worry about. It's not on the mating surface, and not associated with the clamping surfaces.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.