Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Front Suspension Pieces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I have seen pictures of front suspensions being removed in one piece. I need to replace the front shock inserts, bushings, ties rods.

I don't have extensive tools so I am thinking it would be easier to drop the whole thing and replace the pieces one by one then install the whole thing back.

Easier to take to a machine shop to open joints, press bushings, etc.

Is this easy to do? What are the drop points?

oops, didn;t post in garage.
OU8AVW
That's how i did it.
7TPorsh
but where are the drop points? What order...totally new to me. Manuals don't show this technique.
VaccaRabite
Not really a sequence.

Put a jack under the crossbar to hold everything in place.
unbolt the brake calipers the brake calipers, or undo the brake line to the caliper.
MARK THE POSITION OF THE SHOCK PLATE IN THE FRONT TRUNK WITH A SHARPIE (make a trace of the plate).
Unbolt the plate.
remove the pan that protects the steering rack.
unbolt the A arms at the front trunk.
Unbolt the bolts on the cross bar.
And the whole assembly should come down.
Eric_Shea
Remove the suspension pan and place a jack on the crossmember. Remove the tank and the steering rack coupling to the steering rack (unless you want to remove the two fasteners on the steering rack and take the ball joints off yourself) Then remove the strut top nuts. Then the crossmember bolts. Then the front suspension bolts. Lower the jack.
Eric_Shea
MARK THE POSITION OF THE SHOCK PLATE IN THE FRONT TRUNK WITH A SHARPIE (make a trace of the plate).
Unbolt the plate.

Why? Leave it in place and remove the strut. confused24.gif
7TPorsh
does the rack drop too? or the suspension drops and rack stays in place.
7TPorsh
There was a pic of this on a few threads...can't find it now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 22 2013, 10:13 AM) *

There was a pic of this on a few threads...can't find it now.

Like Eric mentioned, you can leave the top shock plates in place and just unbolt the strut.
That way, you keep your current alignment.

IPB Image
7TPorsh
wow, comes with the wheels on! Looks like I need to pull the gas tank.........again
Chris Pincetich
I took the tie rods off the steering rack and left the steering rack in, leaving the gas tank in place. beerchug.gif
Replacing the ball joint is toughest. I had to use a hammer on another tool placed in the notched slots for removal and installation and it has been solid for 3+ year.
Ask around and maybe you can borrow a balljoint socket smash.gif
OU8AVW
A ball joint socket and an impact make quick work of the job.
Ductech
That's it ... Next shop tool is a fork lift. I never thought I could lift a teener
jacksun
thank you for this thread....

really helped with choosing a direction.

tks

r
green914
Thanks for the good info smile.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Feb 22 2013, 01:29 PM) *

Ask around and maybe you can borrow a balljoint socket

Careful with the commonly-available ball joint socket. It's not very strong... sad.gif

I would suggest using an air chisel on the retaining nut. You want to replace the nut anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you chew the heck out of it.

--DD
jmill
I had to grind down a wrench to remove and replace the tie rods. Not sure what's in your toolbox.

jmill
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 28 2014, 05:01 PM) *

I would suggest using an air chisel on the retaining nut. You want to replace the nut anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you chew the heck out of it.

--DD

If you don't have a vice, it's way easier to break it loose when it's on the car. BTDT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.