Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gap on the side of front quarter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnpierre
Can anyone tell why there is this gap b/t the bumper end on the body work. looks like something should go here or that the bumper should finish off in this spot to complete the fit? shit sorry bout the angle but you get the idea...
Dasnowman
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 21 2013, 05:10 PM) *

Can anyone tell why there is this gap b/t the bumper end on the body work. looks like something should go here or that the bumper should finish off in this spot to complete the fit? shit sorry bout the angle but you get the idea...

My 916 bumper has a peice molded right in there!

IPB Image

IPB Image
audio_file
It was recently explained to me as a "relief" area for the metal part of the bumper. When pressed (or hit) the bumper will move as the dog bones compress, and without that cutout relief area, the bumper would damage the fender.
johnpierre
Really.... that is quite interesting. the reason i ask is because i have notice other 914's and this space does not exist. the next time i notice one i will take note of the year. it would make sense that earlier years do not have this and later years do, right?
SirAndy
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 21 2013, 05:10 PM) *
Can anyone tell why there is this gap b/t the bumper end on the body work.

The prototype bumpers actually fit much better in that area.

But when they started production they probably realized it would be good to have some room for the bumpers to bend in case of a slow speed "bump".
icon_bump.gif
johnpierre
you know now that i look at it with this new information it makes perfect sense. of course it would really have to be a low energy impact for the bumper to flex back only 1 or 2 inches and not f'up the quarter or the bumper for that matter. i think i will just make sure that i never really test this out. ha ha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.