Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: differences between 911 & 914 boge's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I just finished a nice 4 corner suspension update. replaced all the rubber and switched to bilstein's. I wrapped it up with a 4 wheel alignment and a corner balance. They couldn't reach my desired front ride height due to hitting the internal bump stops on the billy's, so my front end is still riding 1 inch higher than the back.

I've been reading up on raising the spindles to get that extra inch. I found an old thread where Racer Chris said that 911 boge spindles are already .5 inch higher than 914 boge's. I also see threads saying you can generally get 18-19mm more out of boge's, but others that say you can't move them at all without re-sectioning the tube. As I look at my 914 boge's the taper makes it look like you couldn't move it all (w/o a lot of cutting and re-welding). Looking at pictures 911 boge's (mostly T struts) I don't see this taper, but could just be the picture. So...

1) confirmation that 911 boge's are actually .5 inch higher? If so, is this simply that the spindle is mounted higher or that the tube is different in other ways? I was expecting that I could take my new bilstein's with me if I swapped to 911 struts.

2) can you simply reweld 911 boge's to gain another 18-19mm?

Eric_Shea
1. No. The spindles sit at the same height. There "is" a longer base on the 911 strut but that is because the sleeve for the 911 spindle is shorter than the 914 sleeve. It does leave more room at the base to play around with but, I doubt that matters when raising your spindles.

2. Yes, people have drilled out the large rosette weld and raised the spindles that way. Two methods; that and cut and reweld the tube. If you drill the rosette, I would recommend the RSR triangulated gussets at the same time to prevent future sag.

914 strut on the left. 911 strut on the right:
IPB Image

You can see the RSR gusset in this picture taken by scotty b of a car he has in the shop. The gusset is right behind the hard brake line coming out of the caliper:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.