Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Electrical Puzzle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Gang,

Looking for any BTDT advice or electrical guru input. I have everything on the dash working and wired in. The only puzzle is the turn signal indicators in the tach.

When the stalk is engaged the gauge indicator light illuminates (and clicks) "once" and then stops. The external turn signals all work properly.

Any thoughts on why the gauge lights would only flash once and then stop?

Thanks!
dfelz
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2013, 08:21 PM) *

Gang,

Looking for any BTDT advice or electrical guru input. I have everything on the dash working and wired in. The only puzzle is the turn signal indicators in the tach.

When the stalk is engaged the gauge indicator light illuminates (and clicks) "once" and then stops. The external turn signals all work properly.

Any thoughts on why the gauge lights would only flash once and then stop?

Thanks!

i have the same problem, when i would hold the lever just before it would go into the locking position it would keep blinking, but right when i let it go all the way just got one blink and then off. Does your actual turn signal still continue to blink after the indicator stops though??
Spoke
I had a similar issue with my 71 914 except both indicators would flash dimly instead of one on brightly. It was the second relay contact in the turnsignal.

The indicators use another contact in the flasher. Sounds like your flasher is bad. See below where the indicators use a second relay contact in the flasher. This relay may have died in your vehicle.

I got around my issue by wiring the indicators directly to the front lamps right at the turnsignal flasher under the dash.
Mike Bellis
The flasher relay is bad.

There are 2 individual relays inside the flasher relay. One works the dash, the other works the exterior lamps. There is also a tiny circuit board in the relay to control both sets of contacts.

There is no easy way to repair the internals. Buy a new relay.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 21 2013, 08:29 PM) *

There are 2 individual relays inside the flasher relay. One works the dash, the other works the exterior lamps. There is also a tiny circuit board in the relay to control both sets of contacts.

There is no easy way to repair the internals. Buy a new relay.

agree.gif Eric i had the same exact problem you described. took hours of trouble shooting, to find it was the relay. i found an NOS relay on ebay, and have been trouble free ever since.
Eric_Shea
Does your actual turn signal still continue to blink after the indicator stops though??

Yup...
The external turn signals all work properly.

There are 2 individual relays inside the flasher relay. One works the dash, the other works the exterior lamps.

Yeah... simple. I like simple.
edwin
I have a 911 tach I plugged in and messed with all sorts of things. Indicators being one but when I swapped back all good
Inverted my high beams too.
jdlmodelt
HHHmmmmmmm......everything works on mine concerning the turn signal directions EXCEPT! when I use the turn signal with the headlights on and apply the driving brake, then the signal lights outside keep working correctly, BUT, both indicators start flashing dimly. I'm thinking I have a wire out at the front signal lights or the rear signal lights connected wrong?
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 22 2013, 06:35 AM) *

HHHmmmmmmm......everything works on mine concerning the turn signal directions EXCEPT! when I use the turn signal with the headlights on and apply the driving brake, then the signal lights outside keep working correctly, BUT, both indicators start flashing dimly. I'm thinking I have a wire out at the front signal lights or the rear signal lights connected wrong?

THis is a 72 btw
Tom_T
Eric & jdmodelt both need to look at the flasher/TS relay, as that was usually the culprit on mine - and when they get weak or iffy, then the headlights will tax them into not working in conjunction.

Also jd' - if you added higher power headlights without the relay for them, that could cause your problem.
balljoint
I burn through one new flasher relay every Autocross season. The failures manifest themselves a few different ways but it is usually the relay. Eric, I have a spare if you want I will drop it off at your place next weekend.
904svo
Make sure that there is a brown wire connected to the ground lug on the tack. The
system uses this ground for the bulbs with out it the current flow goes crazy look for a ground.
wingnut86
Quick check for the TSR is:

Take the stalk and click it up and down in each direction like it should be doing through the relay. If the light corresponds, the blinker circuit is working. In the "Olden Times" you could actually pop off the old style lids and clean up the contacts with jewelers files.

EMEA and US changed to the more common canister and square relays in the 60's, tap them and the relay sometimes will unlock, most times it sticks, infrequently it toasts a fuse or drives a bulb hard to failure.

I read it in Popular Mechanics in the early 70's, yes BillH1963, I was just a toddler;-)

Oh, the APAC car vendors had this fixed way before we did, throw away the car every 40K miles:-)
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(904svo @ Feb 22 2013, 02:58 PM) *

Make sure that there is a brown wire connected to the ground lug on the tack. The
system uses this ground for the bulbs with out it the current flow goes crazy look for a ground.

911 Tach. Both indicator bulb bases have ground and hot leads. The base is plastic hence insulating it from the tach body.

Again, one blink and done on the indicators on the tach. The outside signals work fine. I wonder if it's the relay... idea.gif biggrin.gif

Dave, bring the relay by tomorrow. I have a bunch of cold Anchor Steam's in the fridge.

Could be the relay or... maybe the relay. Either way, I'll get a relay and report back.
scotty b
I would start with the relay. MOre often than not, that is the culprit beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Thanks Scooter. Finally... someone with an intelligent answer!! smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
Always here for ya brah. I try to keep it short and sweet, I know how much you hate reading. Just give me a ringaling next time thumb3d.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 22 2013, 01:44 PM) *

Eric & jdmodelt both need to look at the flasher/TS relay, as that was usually the culprit on mine - and when they get weak or iffy, then the headlights will tax them into not working in conjunction.

Also jd' - if you added higher power headlights without the relay for them, that could cause your problem.

I added newer, brighter lights.
j
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 26 2013, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 22 2013, 01:44 PM) *

I added newer, brighter lights.
j

the brite lights are brite but the dims are really dim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.