Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire size that fits without alterations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
Okay, okay...I appologize for asking this before hand. I know this is covered in detail somewhere on this site, BUT, which 15" tire combinations can I use without modifying the fender wells? I currently have 165-15 on back and 185-65-15 on front. I want to change tires and get the car leveled out for starters, but I also want to get something back in there as large as the 165-15 but with the modern sizing dimensions.
Recommendations?
thanks,
James
confused24.gif
brant
it really can make a difference depending on the wheels
for example if you have empi or riviera's with Bug offset (bad) then about 165 width may be it.

but if you have stock 4bolt wheels, you can safely go 195, and perhaps 205 width.

to go up to a 225, you will have to mess with the fenders. Even if its a 5 bolt wheel... especially if its a 7inch rim width.
mepstein
205X60X15 should fit on (most) undamaged cars with 2.0 Fuchs
falconfp2001
I replaced the stock size 165/80 R15 with 205/65 15s

This is the fit on the rear fenders and your cruise speed will not change.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
john_g
Closest to the original tires is 195/65/15.
Generally, 195/60/15's will handle a bit better, but will ride harsher.

I have 205/55/15's on mine (that's what the PO put on) and they're quite satisfactory, though I think I'll go with 195/60's or 205/60's next time.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 22 2013, 08:26 AM) *

for example if you have empi or riviera's with Bug offset (bad) then about 165 width may be it.

but if you have stock 4bolt wheels, you can safely go 195, and perhaps 205 width.

to go up to a 225, you will have to mess with the fenders. Even if its a 5 bolt wheel... especially if its a 7inch rim width.

I have Rivera 15 inch 4 bolt wheels, aside from that I don't know what wheel width or if they are bug offset.
j
Click to view attachment
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 22 2013, 02:15 PM) *

I have Rivera 15 inch 4 bolt wheels, aside from that I don't know what wheel width or if they are bug offset.
j
Click to view attachment

Here's another shot from the side.
L73
Most 195 tires will be the widest on those wheels ...you will have to roll the inner fender lip in the back, it's not a big deal to do that..
Tom_T
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 22 2013, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 22 2013, 02:15 PM) *

j
Click to view attachment

Here's another shot from the side.

I had original pre-75 Rivieras on my 73 when I bought it used, but when they stopped making the 165(/80)HR15 tires, I couldn't get the early 195/65HR15s to fit in front without rubbing on near-lock-to-lock turning & the rears were pretty tight as shown on the Marathon Blue pic by falcon' above.

Your Rivieras also look to be the earlier "original" version lacking the outer lip for tire weights.

Today you can still get Vredestien 165HR15 (/80 ht - they also have 165SR15 if you have a 1.7/1.8) tubeless tires for about $110 each & some other period Michelin XAS tube-type from the vintage tire sellers & some local tires shops will special order them.

You can order them yourself online from Lucas Tires (OH & CA), and their prices are usually better than Coker etc.

Bridgestone & a couple of others used to sell 165TR15 (T rated is fine for a 2.0 & more than S rated on the 1.7/1.8s), if you want to google & check at Tire Rack etc. online for other 165xR15 alternatives.

IMHO stick with the 165xR15 on the Riviera wheels or if you want the vintage look & best MPG.

If you're not looking for that, then look for some decent & true used Fuchs 2.0, Pedrini or Mahle 4-lug or Steelies in the 15x5.5J size wheels with the 40 offset & use the 195/65HR15 or other sizes noted above.

For any of the non-stock tire sizes, use the Tire size calculator at 914 info link above to see how much speedo/odometer error you want to tolerate.

Some folks also have rubbing in the 205+ sizes in the front when turning. You can usually see it on the inner or outer wheel wells with paint/undercoating rubbed off - often to bare metal - which is never a good idea in our tin-worm susceptible 914s!

FYI- there is also good stuff int the "Wheels & Tires" info topic over in the O&H Forum.

Note that Porsche recommended the 195/65HR15 (or SR on 1.7/1.8 914s) back in the 1990's.

Click to view attachment

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
gunny
I have 205/55/15. No problem with fit but they are smaller in diameter so now the speedo is about 15% to fast. I do rub up front on the inner rear fenderwell at wheel lock. PO put tires on, I'm planning on replacing with the 195/65/15
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(gunny @ Feb 22 2013, 03:10 PM) *

I have 205/55/15. No problem with fit but they are smaller in diameter so now the speedo is about 15% to fast. I do rub up front on the inner rear fenderwell at wheel lock. PO put tires on, I'm planning on replacing with the 195/65/15

so does everyone agree that 195/65/15 would fit with my Riviera wheels without modifying the rear fender wells?
brant
I'm betting (only from the pictures) that the offset on your wheels will not allow a 195 tire.

pull your wheel and take a fairly accurate measurment of the offset on your wheels using a straight edge

you may need to buy smaller tires, or different rims.

I don't know what the measurements are supposed to be for the 2 different offsets of rivieras that were avaiable... but someone here will know.
and in your picture, it doesn't look like you have another 20mm-40mm (roughly) of clearance left available. depending on sidewall flex and sidewall ratio you would need another inch or inch and a half of clearance.

how much clearance do you have between the tire and fender edge currently?
dale73914
i have rivieras and run 165's .

I did try to put a 195/55 on and it was fine on one side but almost touching on the other. i then decided to stick with what i had.

The only way to know is tp try, but i am going to stick to the 165's , ( at least until i do a 5 lug conversion and run some Fuchs)

Cheers

Dale
Ian Stott
I run 205 60's Bridgestone Potenza's, stock 4 bolt Fuchs rims, no problems at all. Not a daily driver, not raced, if it's not raining I take her for a spin! Have gone on long trips and found the ride was comfortable with very decent handling.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
pete-stevers
While we are talking tires that fit here is an interesting article on the performance of some high performance summers
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/...d-tires-part-2/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.