Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I missing something?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
My brother went to AA this morning hoping to to get bulbs and sockets his gauges, he was told that he is missing something behind it. It cost $565.00 and they have it in stock. What could that be?

I don't want to jump to conclusion. popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 22 2013, 11:54 AM) *

My brother went to AA this morning hoping to to get bulbs and sockets his gauges, he was told that he is missing something behind it. It cost $565.00 and they have it in stock. What could that be?

I don't want to jump to conclusion. popcorn[1].gif

Looks like he is missing the car.... biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I have no idea of what costs $565 that would be missing. You can buy complete gauge consoles on this site all day long for $100 or less....
brant
lube?

I think if you go to AA you have to take the extra large bucket of lube
SirAndy
QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 22 2013, 08:54 AM) *
What could that be?

Since that gauge cluster is most certainly not from a 914, i have to admit defeat.

popcorn[1].gif
carr914
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 22 2013, 12:35 PM) *

lube?

I think if you go to AA you have to take the extra large bucket of lube

agree.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 22 2013, 09:42 AM) *

What could that be?

Since that gauge cluster is most certainly not from a 914, i have to admit defeat.

popcorn[1].gif

Late model 75-76 has plastic faces and spots on the dash for EGR and CAT warning lights. Gauge at the top is the fuel gauge.
KELTY360

It cost $565.00 and they have it in stock.

confused24.gif

They have it in stock? Wonder what would have happened if he asked to actually see the part?
SirAndy
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 22 2013, 10:03 AM) *
Late model 75-76 has plastic faces and spots on the dash for EGR and CAT warning lights. Gauge at the top is the fuel gauge.

Upside down and plastic? icon8.gif
AutoAtlanta_Leo
This is Leo I helped your brother this morning (nice guy).

This is a picture of a complete fuel gauge unit with connectors, sleeves, and plugs that seems to be missing from yours in that picture. From what your brother described I assumed he needed the missing harness.

I gave your brother 3 of the 2 pole connectors needed but the single pole have to be ordered Porsche.

Looking at the inputs of your gauge it seems one is bent and may need massaging to accept the connector.

Hope this helps

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

billh1963
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 22 2013, 01:03 PM) *

What could that be?

popcorn[1].gif

I tried to sell a complete set of '76 gauges with the EGR and CAT warning light as well as the oil temp gauge for $100 and there were no takers. If you can't sell a complete set of gauges for $100 I certainly can't think of what I would pay $565 for that would be behind the gauge cluster! blink.gif
mepstein
Paul - If you need it and I have it, it's yours. $n/c Mark
worn
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 22 2013, 10:03 AM) *

What could that be?

popcorn[1].gif

Well, my 76 doesn't have a plastic gauge face. I would have cracked it by now. If it is "behind", is that towards the front of the car? If not maybe it is the fancy steering wheel?
Tom_T
QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Feb 22 2013, 10:36 AM) *

This is a picture of a complete fuel gauge unit with connectors, sleeves, and plugs that seems to be missing from yours in that picture. From what your brother described I assumed he needed the missing harness.

I gave your brother 3 of the 2 pole connectors needed but the single pole have to be ordered Porsche.

Looking at the inputs of your gauge it seems one is bent and may need massaging to accept the connector.

Hope this helps

Based on Leo's reply above folks - it sounds like it was $565 for the NLA dash/gauge electrical harness section, which is probably about the last new/NOS price I'd seen for one.

It may be a matter of miscommunication, or if not, look for a used harness around.

In addition to taking the time answering the question pretty clearly with a pic, it also sounds like Leo helped him out with the missing sockets & sleeves, which if not terribly expensive, then ..... where's the problem? confused24.gif

JMHO... huh.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(worn @ Feb 22 2013, 11:11 AM) *

Well, my 76 doesn't have a plastic gauge face. I would have cracked it by now.

Lots of retrofitting done to these cars over the years. Here's a pic of a late dash:

IPB Image

It is plastic.

Note the two lights below and to each side of the tachometer. One says CAT and one says EGR. Do you have those?

Also, note the sticker on the gas/combo gauge. That was factory.

Further: the speedo cable on these cars ran to a box in the passenger foot well. IIRC: That box was the "check engine" indicator for the EGR light and would turn it on after some interval. The box then ran another cable up to the speedo, transferring the mechanical input from the trans to the box, box to the speedo.
brant
Hey FOLKS....
maybe we will have to agree to disagree....

mrbubblehead
thats a sweet picture kapt. i like the way you used a towel for the back ground. but i think you need to work on your lighting a bit. hide.gif
carr914
QUOTE(AutoAtlanta_Leo @ Feb 22 2013, 01:36 PM) *

Yeah, I bet you gave him the Pole sheeplove.gif
914itis
He is new at this and he says that Leo was very patient until George tells him to hurry and pick ip the ringing phone lines. He is new at this and I sent him over there knowing that he would get the guidance. He is only 30 minutes or so from AA . Alone needed was the light bulb and sockets . He was not looking for the harness. I think it was miscommunication plus George ad Leo running for the next $ on the phone. That's why I said that I would not jump to conclusion. I did not say something was wrong, was just wondering what that 500$ part was.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Feb 22 2013, 12:38 PM) *

thats a sweet picture kapt. i like the way you used a towel for the back ground. but i think you need to work on your lighting a bit. hide.gif

You'd better duck! ar15.gif

Got that pic from the bird board.
speed metal army
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 22 2013, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Feb 22 2013, 11:11 AM) *

Well, my 76 doesn't have a plastic gauge face. I would have cracked it by now.

Lots of retrofitting done to these cars over the years. Here's a pic of a late dash:

IPB Image

It is plastic.

Note the two lights below and to each side of the tachometer. One says CAT and one says EGR. Do you have those?

Also, note the sticker on the gas/combo gauge. That was factory.

Further: the speedo cable on these cars ran to a box in the passenger foot well. IIRC: That box was the "check engine" indicator for the EGR light and would turn it on after some interval. The box then ran another cable up to the speedo, transferring the mechanical input from the trans to the box, box to the speedo.

My 76 has none o that. confused24.gif Especially not a speedo cable that runs to a box in the passesger footwell..
914werke
I have a 75 CA car and it has all that & MORE
914Sixer
All the emission stuff was Calif only for 75-76. The rest of the world did not have this stuff. The engine harness was completely different and had a over run relay in the system. Plastic dash was standard in 75-76.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 23 2013, 08:27 AM) *

All the emission stuff was Calif only for 75-76. The rest of the world did not have this stuff. The engine harness was completely different and had a over run relay in the system. Plastic dash was standard in 75-76.

agree.gif

Of course, agreeing with Mark is generally a safe bet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.