Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Gauges factory console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
My car (74) came without the console from the factory and from a member I bought a nice factory one a while back (Thank you).
After the car was sitting for a while now and the engine getting back in next weekend i'd like to put my new gauges and the new old console in.

The gauges are new VDO gauges for Volt, Oil Pressure and Cyl Head Temp...

Of course they are a little smaller the the OE...
What is the best (and hopefully the easiest way) to fix it or fit them?

pray.gif

Click to view attachment
JamesM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...apter%20Ring%20

I think that is probably what you need.

or

You could just make a new face for the console with smaller holes.
Dave_Darling
I have also heard of people carving up rolls of electrical tape to go around the gauges so they fit nicely in the rubber holders.

--DD
speed metal army
This may sound haywire,but I just took the original rubber ring and folded it inside-out,slipped it over the new (smaller) vdo and it fit nice,and was easy as can be.
Click to view attachment
(obviously the temp guage is the new one)
Not bad,and tough to notice.If I was doing all 3,heck, I doubt anyone would notice.
bluhun
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Feb 22 2013, 02:48 PM) *

My car (74) came without the console from the factory and from a member I bought a nice factory one a while back (Thank you).
After the car was sitting for a while now and the engine getting back in next weekend i'd like to put my new gauges and the new old console in.

The gauges are new VDO gauges for Volt, Oil Pressure and Cyl Head Temp...

Of course they are a little smaller the the OE...
What is the best (and hopefully the easiest way) to fix it or fit them?

pray.gif

Click to view attachment

I went to Kragens (now O'reilly's), bought a radiator hose of the correct diameter and cut off about a 1-inch section. The VDO temperature gauge fit perfectly inside the hose and the hose perfectly inside the rubber gasket.
bluhun
QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 22 2013, 03:13 PM) *

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...apter%20Ring%20

I think that is probably what you need.

or

You could just make a new face for the console with smaller holes.

That adapter ring just fits behind the gauge. It doesn't make up for the difference in diameter between the smaller gauges and the gaskets designed to hold the stock VDO's.
76-914
or a short piece of 2" ABS pipe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.