Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
Before my engine goes back in I started on the interior today to rout some wires for new gauges a new center consul etc

Now I have a few questions: stirthepot.gif

How to disconnect the old heat leer on the tunnel to instal the new one and any tips on how to rebuild them best? (Pic #2)

2:
Pic #3 what is that I think I remember some thing with the heat system?
Also any tips on make those heads to like and think about it?

3:
In Pic #4 is the lamp out of the back pad any help on how the wires go?

4:
Do I have to take the cover from underneath the dashboard to instal the factory consul?

5:
Any tips on how to replace the clutch cable best or just pull and shove?

Thank you guys!!!!

Click to view attachment

CG-914

Click to view attachment

CG-914

Click to view attachment
CG-914

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Heater Lever - Disconnect the other ends on that cable that is looped through the handle and pull it out. The cables terminate at the flapper boxes. If they're disconnected already... pull.

Here's some pictures for the restoration question:

IPB Image

Here's the bits layed out in the order they go back together:
IPB Image

Here they are back from plating:
IPB Image

Handle was rechromed. Base plate was clear zinc. Fastener was yellow zinc. Handle soaked in red RIT dye.

IPB Image

Pic #3 That is a plug that goes on the engine I believe (not a big 4 cylinder expert). Belt tension check plate?

Pic #4 Brown is ground. When the switch is all the way up it should connect to this ground (turning light on when you're in the car). Brown stripes is grounded when the doors open. Should be the #2 position or middle on the switch. Black and red is the hot lead to the other side of the switch.

Question #4 No.

Question #5 - Pull and push. Pretty easy. Worst part is the contortion act getting under the steering wheel and attaching the clevis pin to the pedal assembly.
CG-914
Thank you very much Eric!
That helped a lot!

6:
What is the best way to wire the new gauges up?
Cylinder head temp, oil pressure and Volt.

Also can I use the factory console wiring harness to wire the gauge lights up idea.gif ?
Is the factory attachment for the console harness in my car even though it did not came with the console like with the fog lights?

popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
Is the factory attachment for the console harness in my car even though it did not came with the console like with the fog lights? - Yes
JawjaPorsche
It looks like you have a replacement back pad light which has only two connectors so will not have it work when you open the door. At least that is what I had do when I installed mine. Don't cut the extra wire, just put electrical tape on the connector.
steuspeed
The factory console can go in and out without removing anything but the shift knob and the heater knob.

Just pull the clutch cable out the engine compartment and shove the new one in.
76-914
Nice car. beer.gif
CG-914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 24 2013, 09:33 PM) *

Nice car. beer.gif

Thank you! I will post some more pictures the week after next, when the car is back on the road again.

Alright here it goes:

7:
How to replace the bulb(s) in the combo gauge?
How many are there?
Any bulb/part numbers? Osram/Sylvania/Eiko or Wagner...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
steuspeed
VDO bulbs Type A I believe. Look them up on ebay. They have blades on each side of the base. Push in and twist to remove.
CG-914
8:
Mounting the console. It seems the holes for the 2 mounting brackets on the console do not line up with any existing ones. Whats the best thing to do? just drill a hole and use a metal screw?
gothspeed
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2013, 08:19 PM) *

Heater Lever - Disconnect the other ends on that cable that is looped through the handle and pull it out. The cables terminate at the flapper boxes. If they're disconnected already... pull.

I have a question. I am switching to a new lever with the 'console' offset. Once the cable is pulled out of the tunnel, will the existing crimped cable ends go through the hole at the bottom of the lever?
mepstein
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 26 2013, 12:30 PM) *

I have a question. I am switching to a new lever with the 'console' offset. Once the cable is pulled out of the tunnel, will the existing crimped cable ends go through the hole at the bottom of the lever?

Yes. If not, tweak it with a pair of pliers until it's round.
gothspeed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2013, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 26 2013, 12:30 PM) *

Yes. If not, tweak it with a pair of pliers until it's round.

Cool! thanks for posting man! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.