Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoke Machine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
Does anyone have a smoke machine in the Bay Area? Would like see one in action and get opinions before pursuing one.

I should be more specific... I want to use it to check for intake/vacuum leaks?

Regards

James
pete-stevers
I have a small nite club smoke machine, piratenanner.gif
jesiv
[quote name='pete-stevers' date='Feb 23 2013, 09:52 AM' post='1824828']
I have a small nite club smoke machine, piratenanner.gif
[/

Use it to check for intake/vacuum leaks?
pete-stevers
I use it to smoke out my shop once in while!!
strawman
I built my own using a GMC diesel glow plug, an empty paint can, a few fittings and some glycerine. A simple design can be found at:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?...Y-Smoke-Machine

There are some Youtube videos out there too -- just search DIY Smoke Machine. Mine worked great to help me find a blown o-ring on an intake sensor on my BMW E36. The leak occurred on the bottom side of the intake tract and no amount of ether would have helped me find that one!
cary
I'm with Strawman. Build your own off the web. I'm too cheap or lazy use the glow plug or glycerin.
I used a match and a rag soaked in WD-40. Works like a dream. Used it once to diagnosis leaks on 4.0 Ford and 2.7T Audi.
I think I'm into mine $25.

Krieger
Ive used propane from my bbq tank. It kills the engine. Just try spraying some down the air intake and it dies immediately. Figure out a hose attachment to the propane tank so you can spray it on suspected areas. You will also need a long hose to hook to your air intake so it will pick up fresh air somewhere else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.