Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To roll fender or not
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd230
New to me 914-6. Very original unmolested. Tires are too old to use and I have a set of 911 fuchs. Today I had a cheap 195/60/15 mounted on the 15x7 just to see how it would look. I suppose I could go a bit narrower if I needed to but i really like the look and would just hang on to the originals. The combo fits but just barely. I'd probably only have to roll the inner lip at the top of the fender. No pulling. I don't want to hurt resale but the cars I'm seeing sell are not concours and have some modification at a minimum. Anyone think rolling that inside lip is a big deal? Looks like the fender in the picture had something bend the lip at some point anyway. Any input welcome. Thx
Original
IPB Image
image by todd2302000, on Flickr
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Mike Bellis
Flip a coin...

Original 914-6

or Non-original 914-6

Buy smaller tires and keep it original... sad.gif
Mike Bellis
Although, I see holes in your rear panel from a Non-original center lens.

Roll the fenders... biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
sell the 7's and have an inch added to the inside of your 6's. 911R style,
I have Fdup and fixed more rear fenders than I ever want to again..Stock $$$$

70's have an extra wide fender lip, even if you fold it up you may still need
the Baseball Bat headbang.gif

The left will probably work with a lip up mod, The right will appear to until you drive it and burn the paint above the lip. chair.gif

FYI, if it was a 4, F... it jackem biggrin.gif
messix
get a shot bag and a sissor jack and place base of jack at inner wheelwell and shot bag and short section of 2x4 on inner and screw out jack to gently push fender out and release til you get the clearance. you wont get but 1/2" to 1" more that what you have now and be carefull of pulling the door gap back.
Todd230
Yes the term original should be used with caution. This car had two dealer installed items. Full width porsche reflector and a wood interior kit.
messix
and if you roll the lip you run the chance of deforming the flat part of the panel....

just take an angle cutter and trim off some of the lip flush with the upper part of the fender [the area above the rolled out contour]
sixnotfour
Troy go away.....
Eric_Shea
Keep it stock (bring it back to stock) and get proper wheels made as Jeff suggests. To-date, European buyers are driving the values of these cars through the roof. I would fix the rear panel and the dash and get the wheels widened as mentioned. It's one of the rarest production model Porsche's ever built.
Todd230
My step son and I have stared at the car long enough to decide messing up fenders is probably not a good decision. Going to put the tires on the original wheels. Thx
Todd230
Dash is done. Just need to get the door panel caps and fill the rear panel.
messix
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 23 2013, 05:31 PM) *

Troy go away.....

whats that on your fender???? burnt paint happy11.gif

how much did you pull and what size tire???
sixnotfour
Troy I've had from 6.5 to 8's on the car and now its back to stock , my mom loves here new old 914 2.0

Great choice Todd
Dasnowman
Options

1)Buy different offset on rims I think the 944 ones might give better clearance? dry.gif

2)Clean the back of the fender really good, rent a fender roller from auto parts store or Craigslist, use a heat to heat paint or let sit in desert heat, roll inside lip flat but use a 30 minute to hour set seam sealer to prevent rust, dirt and water getting in there. When ever you roll a fender even with warm paint there is a 98% chance it might crack. evilgrin.gif

2) Order a set of GT or Tangerine metal flares and get the Metal Surgeon to install them and repaint fenders and buy some 8" for the front and 10" Fuchs for the rear and run some beafy tires. happy11.gif

3) Buy some Bias ply tyres in stock size and driff that sucker on every corner! driving-girl.gif

But what do I know? been on this site less then a year so I'm a noobie!
messix
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 23 2013, 05:42 PM) *

Troy I've had from 6.5 to 8's on the car and now its back to stock , my mom loves here new old 914 2.0

Great choice Todd

thats not a six any more?
sixnotfour
Nope , But still has 911 struts and coilovers and 15x6666 Fuchs and big bumpers again for Mom style parking.
PanelBilly
Sorry, but I don't know your car,,, If you have the original engine ect, then don't fuck with modifications. Keep it as stock as you can. Buy a common car to mess with
brant
put 6 inch wheels on it...

and the same advice for all 4cylinder guys.
7's with 944 offset are just not ideal for stock fenders
6's are fine
eric9144
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 23 2013, 05:34 PM) *

Keep it stock (bring it back to stock) and get proper wheels made as Jeff suggests. To-date, European buyers are driving the values of these cars through the roof. I would fix the rear panel and the dash and get the wheels widened as mentioned. It's one of the rarest production model Porsche's ever built.

agree.gif
Values are on the hockey stick upswing...don't roll them, there are other ways...
sixnotfour
There are ways...
Todd230
I like the swing arm idea - are those readily available? Thx.
Cairo94507
I am kind of in the same situation as far as my wheels go. I have a number matching set of 5 deep sixes for my car and it will remain stock bodied. When I take the wheels To H. Weidman I am probably going to have him widen them 1" (to the inside) so I can fit a little more rubber on it w/o touching the fender lip. I will probably widen all of them so they are all matching. At least that is the plan....
BKLA
QUOTE(Todd230 @ Feb 23 2013, 05:38 PM) *

Dash is done. Just need to get the door panel caps and fill the rear panel.

pray.gif keep it original.
sixnotfour
I like the swing arm idea - are those readily available? Thx.

Not at this time..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.