Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK to put entire engine/tin on engine stand?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AE354803
So I finished a partial engine drop last night and after looking at the mounting bolts decided to sleep on it.

Is it possible for me to put the entire engine assembly (tin, alternator, fan, fan shroud) on an engine stand?

Those bolts just don't look that beefy and they're mounted into aluminum. I know the stand will handle it and I can fit it physically but I really don't want to ruin this case.

Thanks for your help. More rebuild related questions to follow!!

This was by far the easiest engine I have ever dropped, no coolant, just a few wires/fuel hoses and 6 bolts drooley.gif

Click to view attachment
tornik550
I have done it several times without any problems. I used a harbor freight stand. I didn't have any issues (well- I guess I did have an engine stand collapse once however that was an unrelated issue). I normally would put a 2x4 between the ground and front of the engine for extra support.
Krieger
No problem. Just make sur the bolts are tight.
nathansnathan
If you use an empi yoke, you will see it bending under the load, and the mounting flanges coming away. Something like this with the joined flange and more than 2 arms works well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=606308

The worst is the 3 wheeled stands (empi - these are made for type 1 motors really), with the exhaust and all on that, you would be asking for trouble. I have had one topple and cracked a fan shroud.
BKLA
I used this heavy yoke I bought on evil bay.

Worked great for a 1.8 fully dressed 4, and a 2.7 fully dressed 6.

Note that it is mounted vertical not horizontal on the two lower studs.

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
QUOTE(BKLA @ Feb 24 2013, 07:18 AM) *

Click to view attachment

You're probably not splitting the case, but if you do, you want to use the other side of the case on the stand so the distributor is in the side that is attached. -Just saying, since you mention it. biggrin.gif smoke.gif
Java2570
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 24 2013, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(BKLA @ Feb 24 2013, 07:18 AM) *

Click to view attachment

You're probably not splitting the case, but if you do, you want to use the other side of the case on the stand so the distributor is in the side that is attached. -Just saying, since you mention it. biggrin.gif smoke.gif

I bought one of those yokes that is linked in that Samba ad, very sturdy and well made. The only issue I've had is that when installing the P&C, I had to take my short block back off the yoke because part of the mounting arch obstructs you from installing the piston #3. Just a minor inconvenience though as it's not too hard to wrestle the short block on and off the stand by yourself.
stugray
DO NOT do it unless you have the yoke made for these engines in the pics above.

You CAN fit the HF engine stand onto one of these engines or trannys, but you WILL break the case without the yoke.

I use the HF yoke to hold JUST a tranny, but never the engine
Stu
914werke
or you could go this way if your CSOB like me. smile.gif
AE354803
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 24 2013, 10:26 AM) *

DO NOT do it unless you have the yoke made for these engines in the pics above.

You CAN fit the HF engine stand onto one of these engines or trannys, but you WILL break the case without the yoke.

I use the HF yoke to hold JUST a tranny, but never the engine
Stu

Sooo...

Does anyone in San Diego or the surrounding area have a yoke I could borrow/rent/buy for disassembly? I'll get a hold of another one for the reassembly

It would be greatly appreciated

Andy
type47
Mainely Custom by Design (no affliation) offers an adapter that can be used with a US (as the Harbor Freight is...) stand:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.