Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauging interest for 225mm clutch conversion.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I think I have an idea for a bit better and cheaper conversion clutch package. This is for 3.0-3.2 but it could also be made to work on 2.0-2.7 with the later 225mm flywheel
This will take several weeks just for a prototype, this is just a sneak peak and I need to test it, so if you are in a hurry please buy one of the other vendors packages.

These pictures are my first effort, but I may sell this one if I like my 2nd version better. But please it's not for sale yet. The welds were needed for centring, the 2nd version wouldn't have this and will be a much superior way of making this package.

I did copy a copy to a point, but I used a different pressure plate. I think it was sort of a copy of a KEP but I'm not sure. I did have MDG's conversion in my hands for a few minutes 3-4 years ago, but I did go that route.
My 2nd version will be one I have not seen before...that's about all I'll say right now.

It wouldn't be a huge savings, but it would be definitely be worth it. Also it would let you source you own flywheel which could really increase your savings if you found good used. Plus I wouldn't need you to ship your flywheel.

Would anybody be interested in this? confused24.gif
SirAndy
Yepp, that's exactly like my KEP adapter starter ring gear which allows me to use the stock 993 flywheel (well, stock sans some unneeded weight).

KEP Stage II Clutch kit with ringear:
IPB Image

Mounted directly to this:
IPB Image

To look like this:
IPB Image

driving.gif
Mark Henry
I figured that's what my original ring was copied from biggrin.gif
I knew it was a copy, I've seen another persons version which is again slightly different.
My 2nd version will again be slightly different than the KEP and this other chaps method.

Andy is that a 245mm flywheel?
That I can't do right now.
PanelBilly
Help me learn here. I'm not even to the point where I send my 3.0 to the machine shop. Is there an advantage to the 225 mm plate?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 24 2013, 03:56 PM) *

Help me learn here. I'm not even to the point where I send my 3.0 to the machine shop. Is there an advantage to the 225 mm plate?

225mm is the stock flywheel friction surface size for a 915 transmission, so your 3.0 would have this. The pics is a late 3.0 flywheel.
From 1970 on (IIRC) all 911 has a 225mm flywheel, but uses a pull type clutch. There is a way of using these pressure plates, but it is not the best solution.

Turbos and later cars had a 245mm and a larger pressure plate bolt pattern.
914/6 and 1969 and earlier 911's use the 6 bolt 215mm flywheel and same pressure plate as a 914/4, which is only good to about 180HP. This flywheel can't be adapted to 3.0/3.2 engines with 9 bolt flywheels.

This adaptor will be required for converting any /6 engine with the flat 225mm flywheel to a 901 transmission so it works like stock. I believe a new kit is <$1000 from KEP, Patrick, etc.
Mark Henry
930 transmission 245mm (friction surface) flywheel on the left,
911 (901 70up in 911) and 915 transmission 225mm (friction surface) flywheel on the right.
(Note the right flywheel is a 3.0 '80-'83 9 bolt, '78-'79 3.0 has a smaller pilot bearing hole, 1970-77 is similar but 6 bolt, and I believe the 3.2 has sensor magnets in it)
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This pic is a 914 and 69 down 911 flywheel for the 901, uses the same 215mm pressure plate as the 914/4.
Hard to see in the pics but the later 911 flywheels are "flat", where the bottom 914/901 flywheel is stepped and the shoe fits down into the flywheel.
Mark Henry
My adaptor sitting in a 930 245mm flywheel, you can see how much larger the pressure plate mount hole pattern is than the 225mm pattern.
Luke M
I've been on the look out for this clutch/flywheel setup for my brothers car. He has a 83 3.0 that needs to mate to a 901 box. What's the projected cost of this set up and is the any cores that need to be figured into a build?
I have a fairly new late 3.0 flywheel and new bearing.
I would need the ring gear portion and maybe a disc/pressure plate to complete this.
Is the ring gear from a 914 flywheel machined down to fit ?

I'd like to learn more about this as I'll be looking to buy a setup within the next 2 months.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 25 2013, 08:07 AM) *

I've been on the look out for this clutch/flywheel setup for my brothers car. He has a 83 3.0 that needs to mate to a 901 box. What's the projected cost of this set up and is the any cores that need to be figured into a build?
I would need the ring gear portion and maybe a disc/pressure plate to complete this.

I'd like to learn more about this as I'll be looking to buy a setup within the next 2 months.

At this point I'm not going to disclose how I'm doing this.
I may have my version ready by then.
I don't know my cost yet, but I'm aiming to make it cheaper solution.

No it will not work.
Luke M
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 25 2013, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 25 2013, 08:07 AM) *

At this point I'm not going to disclose how I'm doing this.
I may have my version ready by then.
I don't know my cost yet, but I'm aiming to make it cheaper solution.

No it will not work.

I wasn't asking how to build my own but just curious if it was a modified 914 flywheel that mates to the 911 flywheel. I'll keep an eye on this build as I'll be needing a setup. Let us know once you get a final product and cost. I'd be in for one kit.
Mark Henry
It's OK smile.gif

The 914 flywheel can't be cut down as the OD is too small to start with and the 911 flywheel bolt pattern pops though the sides making the ring very weak. There are better choices.

One thing is a VW flywheel is very hard most likely Cr-Mo forged steel and tough to cut. I'm sure you could make a ring if you have the skills, a lathe and a mill handy. If you have to pay a machinist by the hour it wouldn't be worth it, cheaper to buy a ready built set.

Steve
I thought all the KEP 9 bolt stuff was based on Bus 228mm parts?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 26 2013, 12:06 AM) *

I thought all the KEP 9 bolt stuff was based on Bus 228mm parts?

That is the easy part. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.