Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I have a 1.8 or a 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbob42
Showed my '73 to a guy today and he said I have a 1.8 not a 2.0 because 2.0 plugs should come in at a 45 degree angle. I am a little confused. I buy 2.0 parts. My serial number is infront of the oil fill hole. Can you guys help me out here?

IPB Image
IPB Image
Rockaria
Looks like a 1.7 actually... A 73 2.0 has a more square air filter housing, and there are only three bolts holding the intake plenum to the heads.

73 2.0 engine number:
Click to view attachment

73 2.0 air cleaner, plenum:
Click to view attachment
jimkelly
if you have an MPS, you have a 1.7 or 2.0

seems you have 4 nuts holding your intake runners to the heads, so that should be 1.7 if you have an mps

that sn# tag is unique
pbob42
here is a shot without the air cleaner.

IPB Image
Rockaria
It looks exactly like a 1.7 with D-Jet fuel injection.
pbob42
what a crummy day. I lost 15% of my motor.
TheCabinetmaker
A definite 1.7
billh1963
Spark plugs are the giveaway as well....1.7
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(pbob42 @ Feb 24 2013, 06:46 PM) *

Showed my '73 to a guy today and he said I have a 1.8 not a 2.0 because 2.0 plugs should come in at a 45 degree angle. I am a little confused. I buy 2.0 parts. My serial number is infront of the oil fill hole. Can you guys help me out here?

IPB Image
IPB Image

I have a 1.7 and it looks exactly like yours. 1.7 are good engines. Porsche put them in 914's for four years. Don't be disappointed, I think you hit the jackpot! beerchug.gif

I would address some fuel hoses including injector hoses. Also replace clamps with proper fuel clamps.
914Sixer
1.7 engine numbers start with a W, EA, EB. I have never seen a number like what you are showing. 1.7, 1.8 Numbers are on a diagonal on engine block NOT at the filler neck.
442nd914s
agree.gif
It's defintely not a 2.0. I have a '73 2.0 Djet thats looks nothing like that. And plugs are at +/- 45 degrees. Having said that, my air box is slight different. It doesn't have the "x/criss cross" pattern on the top. Its square with parallel bars.
euro911
It looks like a 1.7, but until you tear it apart and look inside (to measure all the components), it's anybody's guess confused24.gif

The replacement tag is from a re-manufacturing shop (like GEX)
Tom_T
QUOTE(pbob42 @ Feb 24 2013, 03:46 PM) *

IPB Image

It looks like you can see the original engine case number peeking from behind that tag attached with the rivets. My guess is that the outfit who rebuilt the motor at sometime affixed their own case/rebuild no. with the rivets.

It's not a Porsche factory rebuild, cuz they'll have an "X" at the end of the no. stamped in the case for "Exchange" motor IIRC.

PS - It looks like Mark was thinking the same thing while I was typing! ;-)
76-914
A 1.7 will keep up w/ the 1.8's & 2.0's just fine in the twisties. And isn't that where we drive them? beerchug.gif
euro911
I have a 1.8L long block with a similar tag ... looks like it's from the same rebuilder

Click to view attachment
pbob42
well that answers the tag - thanks guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.