Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Official
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
Flew and looked at a 73 914. I know it's only a 1.8, but it was fast enough. As long as I never drive a 2.0 or a 1.7, I will never know the difference. Most importantly, this 914 was structurally solid with nearly no rust. Just a few minor things to sort out.

It was really the first time I drove one, and boy I was all smiles. I can't believe how this thing handles and corners. I mean "oh my God."

This car is a far cry from my MGBs. It just shows those Germans were a million times advance that the British.
wndsrfr

welcome.png
Oh, yeah, miserable "cars" those Britishers put together. The 914 is so sweet....you'll never look back! Welcome to the world--you'll get lots of help here.
Kaduku
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 24 2013, 03:51 PM) *

welcome.png
Oh, yeah, miserable "cars" those Britishers put together. The 914 is so sweet....you'll never look back! Welcome to the world--you'll get lots of help here.

Thanks. I am very excited. Now the wait to transport her to the bay area.
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
Where in the SF Bay Area are you? There are lots of us spread around the Bay!

Welcome to the madness!
agree.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 24 2013, 04:24 PM) *

Welcome to the madness!
agree.gif

I am still at the Seattle airport stuck lololol. Believe me it is worth being stuck to see and drive this car.

I will post pics once I am home.

Yes, I cant wait to meet you bay area guys or girls! I am in Walnut Creek.

JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the madness? Get your checkbook ready! You teener is same year and color as mine! You did good! beerchug.gif
messix
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 24 2013, 04:44 PM) *

Welcome to the madness!
agree.gif

I am still at the Seattle airport stuck lololol. Believe me it is worth being stuck to see and drive this car.

you bought it from some one up here?
KELTY360
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 24 2013, 04:23 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Pics are here. Welcome to 914s Randy. You're going to enjoy that car!

Randy's red teener
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 24 2013, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 24 2013, 04:44 PM) *

Welcome to the madness!
agree.gif

you bought it from some one up here?

Yeah, we made it a point to keep him away from you...meeting Greenie was traumatic enough. shades.gif
damesandhotrods
In the Limey’s defense, they were crippled by poor management. They had to rely on designs that were behind the times when they were introduced, and sold long past their prime just to keep money coming in. The Lotus Élan gives a pretty good idea of what they were capable of. But having been through 3 MGBs and a B-GT I really appreciate how much more modern the 914 is.
Kaduku
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Feb 24 2013, 05:31 PM) *

In the Limey’s defense, they were crippled by poor management. They had to rely on designs that were behind the times when they were introduced, and sold long past their prime just to keep money coming in. The Lotus Élan gives a pretty good idea of what they were capable of. But having been through 3 MGBs and a B-GT I really appreciate how much more modern the 914 is.

agree.gif it's amazing my MGBs and this 914 were built almost the same time, but the 914s were just so way ahead.

It was a pleasure meeting Marc and Kurt, and I really believe I made the right choice.... Finally!!!!!!!!!
Pat Garvey
Smart choice! Great looking 914!

Be a post whore about the car.
Pat
aharder
welcome.png
greenie
Hey Randy,

You bought a very nice car!

It's a shame you didn't have the time to drive her home.

Hope to see you in June at the "Ramble in the Gorge" welcome.png

messix
christ!!!

i'm amazed the greenie let that miscreant kelty in any of his cars again!!!

that looks like a amaizng car!

i love the color

Kaduku
QUOTE(greenie @ Feb 24 2013, 06:03 PM) *

Hey Randy,

You bought a very nice car!

It's a shame you didn't have the time to drive her home.

Hope to see you in June at the "Ramble in the Gorge" welcome.png

Lol I may have to, I am still in the airport blink.gif

Tom_T
welcome.png ....congratz!

IPB Image

She looks like a nice one! smile.gif

Might as well put in for the retro-repro "Legacy" plates from DMV when you register her....unless you have the original CA blue/yellow plates that came with (if she was originally sold new in CA), if not - then go look here.....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

They'll probably give you "regular" plates until production starts on the Legacy ones, unless they've already reached the 5000 minimum, in which case you'd get the Legacy ones sooner.

I agree, driving her back would've been a hoot for you! driving.gif
.... maybe not too late to schedule a long weekend off to fly back & drive home! ...Coast Hwy 1 from the Redwoods to SFO! shades.gif

Kaduku
Lol made the flight and heading home whew!!!!!

Thanks again everyone for the kind words.
messix
you could have made it home in about 14 hrs!
ThePaintedMan
Congratulations! You did it the right way! Came here, asked plenty of questions and knew what to look for and what you were getting into first. I'm sure most of us envy you. I'm sure you will grow to love your car like the rest of us and you'll be an awesome owner who really appreciates what a great car this really is. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
somd914
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 24 2013, 06:47 PM) *

This car is a far cry from my MGBs. It just shows those Germans were a million times advance that the British.

welcome.png

Looks like a very sweet 914.

I met an engineer who worked for Triumph through most of the 60's. He said their motto was "Good enough..." If they could start a car and drive it off the line, good enough no matter what might be wrong with it. He also said engineering sat on the other side of the plant from production and they seldom visited the line or talked to the production staff. Then he went to work for BMW around 1970 and retired from them a few years ago. For BMW engineering and production were a tightly coupled group, and their was "No matter how good it is, we can make it even better". I imagine Porsche of the day was similar to BMW in these respects.
Gint
Grats! Looks like a nice example too.
Kaduku
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 24 2013, 06:39 PM) *

you could have made it home in about 14 hrs!

Damn, I forgot gas prices have skyrocketed. Enclosed transport fees are crazy. I may actuallyhave to fly back and drive it home blink.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 24 2013, 06:17 PM) *

welcome.png ....congratz!

Might as well put in for the retro-repro "Legacy" plates from DMV when you register her....unless you have the original CA blue/yellow plates that came with (if she was originally sold new in CA), if not - then go look here.....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

They'll probably give you "regular" plates until production starts on the Legacy ones, unless they've already reached the 5000 minimum, in which case you'd get the Legacy ones sooner.

Would it be so wrong to put a black CA plate on the 914?

johnpierre
im not sure who said this first, but it could not be more true:

WELCOME TO THE MADNESS

and welcome.png and lets see that car...
Wegeng_Haus
Welcome! I auto cross with a club and have seen so many problems with the Brit cars- pushed many off the course, rolled many back onto their wheels. 914's may be under powered, at times, but fun and charm, they have aplenty. Dave
Kaduku
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 25 2013, 12:42 PM) *

im not sure who said this first, but it could not be more true:

WELCOME TO THE MADNESS

and welcome.png and lets see that car...

Lol, I am already there! And the funny thing is my car is still in Seattle drooley.gif

Jeffs9146

lots of us very close! I am about 45 minutes down Marsh Creek Rd! Fun little drive if you can avoid the commute time! beerchug.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 25 2013, 02:44 PM) *

lots of us very close! I am about 45 minutes down Marsh Creek Rd! Fun little drive if you can avoid the commute time! beerchug.gif

That would be a nice drive for the 914. I haven't drove that in awhile.
johnpierre
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 24 2013, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 24 2013, 04:23 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Pics are here. Welcome to 914s Randy. You're going to enjoy that car!

Randy's red teener

i remember seeing this when it when up for sale 2 week ago (or so) and thought, "well this wont last long." a great score.

i followed the same path. did my research, asked alot of questions, drove several 14's that had to many issues, so i just waited and refined what i was looking for and then back in october on a thursday i found a 73' on this site in classified's drove it on monday, bought it on wednesday, and the love affair began. your going to have so much fun...
Kaduku

i remember seeing this when it when up for sale 2 week ago (or so) and thought, "well this wont last long." a great score.

i followed the same path. did my research, asked alot of questions, drove several 14's that had to many issues, so i just waited and refined what i was looking for and then back in october on a thursday i found a 73' on this site in classified's drove it on monday, bought it on wednesday, and the lover affair began. you going to have so much fun...

Great story too. I just did not want or afford to make the same mistake I did with my last MGB. Bought it from Florida, sight unseen. Big mistake!!!!!

Not a bad looking car. I just wished it drove like it looked.

Kaduku
Well, my 914 is now safely loaded in an enclosed carrier and enroute to her new home in the Bay Area.

A huge thanks again to Marc (KELTY360) and Kurt (greenie) for making this deal happen and helping out Garrett.

ScoopLV
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 25 2013, 03:33 PM) *

Great story too. I just did not want or afford to make the same mistake I did with my last MGB. Bought it from Florida, sight unseen. Big mistake!!!!!

Not a bad looking car. I just wished it drove like it looked.

Everyone who drives a MGB wishes that. devil.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 28 2013, 01:01 PM) *

Well, my 914 is now safely loaded in an enclosed carrier and enroute to her new home in the Bay Area.

A huge thanks again to Marc (KELTY360) and Kurt (greenie) for making this deal happen and helping out Garrett.

YUP, on it's way!

Wasn't sure it was going to fit, but the driver managed to squeeze it in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Santa is coming and he is bringing you a brand new ride! beerchug.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 28 2013, 01:22 PM) *

Santa is coming and he is bringing you a brand new ride! beerchug.gif

santa_smiley.gif drooley.gif cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif grouphug.gif santa_smiley.gif

Thanks Marc for posting those pics. Awesome!

Nie Zu Alt
Congratulations, Nice looking car!
greenie
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 28 2013, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Feb 28 2013, 01:01 PM) *

YUP, on it's way!

Wasn't sure it was going to fit, but the driver managed to squeeze it in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

"Exotic Auto Transportations "

Has the 914 become an Exotic car?

Like I said before you bought a beauty! Kelty worked harder than normal to make this happen. A lot of fun was had by all of us on this deal, Garrett was a blast!

Kaduka tell the story about Keltys reaction when we came back from the test drive with the "Death Trap" report.

Kaduku

"Exotic Auto Transportations "

Has the 914 become an Exotic car?

Like I said before you bought a beauty! Kelty worked harder than normal to make this happen. A lot of fun was had by all of us on this deal, Garrett was a blast!

Kaduka tell the story about Keltys reaction when we came back from the test drive with the "Death Trap" report.

Lol, greenie, its true you are a trouble maker. Kelty had a lot of patience dealing with me, and for that I thank him.

Kaduku
My 914 came in this morning at 9:30am. I immediately called my local Dent Pro guy who removed a few small dings around the right front and rear fender area and trunk lid. Now it is dentless and super straight!!!!!!!

I then cleaned her up and took her for a spin on the freeway. It was awesome!!!!!

Here is a pic with her in her new home.

I also took Marc's advice and replaced the engine with a 2.0 liter. lol, okay I just swapped it with a 2.0 emblem.

Can you guys give me some suggestions on the exhaust, which is visible. Should I paint it black or silver or what? Or should I just leave that rustic look it has now?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

JawjaPorsche
I heard Rustelom BBQ grill paint works good. Your new ride looks great!
Kaduku
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 2 2013, 06:31 PM) *

But what color?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 2 2013, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 2 2013, 06:31 PM) *

But what color?

I like the flat black look.
Kaduku

Okay that makes two, because that's what I like too.

JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Mar 2 2013, 09:48 PM) *

Okay that makes two, because that's what I like too.

Great Minds Think A Like! beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Gray would be a more OEM-ish look--but it's not an OEM muffler setup, so that may be a moot point.

Black should serve to hide it a little better, make it less obvious. That has some definite appeal.

--DD
rnellums
I opted for a few coats of zinc paint, stockish and unobtrusive.
Kaduku
First painted the exposed exhaust with Rustoleum BBQ black. It was too flat with a weird color grey to it. So I tried the Rustoleum BBQ Ultra Semi-Gloss Black.

I LIKEY IT!

BTW, the exhaust has Thunderbird stamped on it. I haven't seen or heard of it here on this site, but of course I am new here. I do like the sound, not loud at all.

Click to view attachment
rnellums
MUCH better! thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.