Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helluva weekend!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Just thought I would share my first PCA event with everyone. I had been talking with John (FourBlades) about his upcoming PCA DE at Sebring and mentioned that I would like to see what "its" all about, so I finally came off the $42 or whatever it was and joined PCA. After talking with T.C. (Carr914), who is a PCA Instructor and one hell of a driver himself, we decided to drive down so T.C. could instruct John and I would watch. The plan was to leave Saint Petersburg around 5:30 a.m.

Saturday morning arrives and I get a call from T.C. at 05:00 saying he's on his way to my house so we can ride together. Five minutes later he called back saying his alternator light was on in his truck and things weren't looking good, so he turned around. Another five minutes and he was stranded in Tampa, with a tow truck on the way. A little bummed out I wouldn't have my buddy riding with me to Sebring, I drove off into a beautiful sunrise over the orange groves of central Florida.

Got to the track and immediately started receiving thumbs up from all the PCA guys, quickly realized out of the hundreds of cars there, I was the only 914. A few minutes later I met up with John and we caught up for the first time since the Tropical Ramble.

Long story short, I spent most of the day watching John on the track and walking around the pits meeting other Porsche owners. At lunch we had the chance to take my car on the track for a couple of parade laps, and I think we both concluded it was an absolute blast. We're both looking forward to bringing our cars out for another PCA DE in April.

All in all, I really enjoyed myself. Bummed that TC couldn't join us, but I really had a good time with John and with the rest of our PCA region. Honestly, I was really anxious about joining, thinking that I really had nothing in common with most Porsche owners. If anyone is hesitant, I would urge you to reconsider. I found people to be very much down to earth and I'm looking forward to more!
poorsche914
Our local PCA region had a small event (show and shine type thing) this weekend and I had the only 914 there. Even in the state of disrepair it is in and sitting alongside $50-100K Porsches, there was still an interest in it. smile.gif You will come to find that many, many of the PCA members you meet have owned a 914 at some point (or may have one stuffed in a garage).

driving.gif
carr914
Yeah, it sucked I couldn't make it - glad you had Fun. I talked to John Sat Night
carr914
As far as PCA goes, I have debated for years about not renewing (been a Member for 26 Years), but I figure that I go to enough Social Events that I drink & eat more than $42 a year. I was pissed off this year that I was put on the Waiting List for our Christmas Party that I have attended every year. I'm glad that Pete Stout (a 914 guy) is now Editor of the PCA Mag-Rag
FourBlades

Bummed that TC could not make it.

Doing the parade laps with George it hit me again how fun these cars are even when you are not going that fast. You can see and feel the road and the sense of speed and g forces much more than in a modern Porsche.

Driving my 2003 911 right after George's 914 you feel so much more insulated from the road and what is going on.

Trying to upload the video I made to youtube...

John
ww914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 24 2013, 07:46 PM) *

Just thought I would share my first PCA event with everyone. I had been talking with John (FourBlades) about his upcoming PCA DE at Sebring and mentioned that I would like to see what "its" all about, so I finally came off the $42 or whatever it was and joined PCA. After talking with T.C. (Carr914), who is a PCA Instructor and one hell of a driver himself, we decided to drive down so T.C. could instruct John and I would watch. The plan was to leave Saint Petersburg around 5:30 a.m.

Saturday morning arrives and I get a call from T.C. at 05:00 saying he's on his way to my house so we can ride together. Five minutes later he called back saying his alternator light was on in his truck and things weren't looking good, so he turned around. Another five minutes and he was stranded in Tampa, with a tow truck on the way. A little bummed out I wouldn't have my buddy riding with me to Sebring, I drove off into a beautiful sunrise over the orange groves of central Florida.

Got to the track and immediately started receiving thumbs up from all the PCA guys, quickly realized out of the hundreds of cars there, I was the only 914. A few minutes later I met up with John and we caught up for the first time since the Tropical Ramble.

Long story short, I spent most of the day watching John on the track and walking around the pits meeting other Porsche owners. At lunch we had the chance to take my car on the track for a couple of parade laps, and I think we both concluded it was an absolute blast. We're both looking forward to bringing our cars out for another PCA DE in April.

All in all, I really enjoyed myself. Bummed that TC couldn't join us, but I really had a good time with John and with the rest of our PCA region. Honestly, I was really anxious about joining, thinking that I really had nothing in common with most Porsche owners. If anyone is hesitant, I would urge you to reconsider. I found people to be very much down to earth and I'm looking forward to more!

I too have the only active 914 in our PCA club. I am not much into the social or breakfast events, but do all the road tours and AX and DE events. I have never felt like a bastard child with the group. Oh, and my car is faster than some of the old farts with their late model cars. I also frequent another PCA AX event several times a year and they treat me like one of them as well. I do believe being a PCA member gives me opportunities I wouldn't otherwise have, especially learning how to drive my car.
Tom_T
Our SoCal PCA Zone 8 regions' folks are all beyond that "not a real Porsche" thing with 914s that permeated during the 70s-80s, and our 914s are now "cool" & recognized as the great performing sport cars that they've always been. And this is true whether you're talking AX/DE/track or the CW crowds, or even just at the social events.
FourBlades
Long video of the touring laps George and I did.

If you have never driven a 914 or never been to Sebring this could be interesting.

Please excuse my cheesy commentary. smile.gif

I was impressed just how much fun this was even though we could not go more than 40-60 mph most of the time. Can't wait to try this at full speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HnFABmgHNA

John
FourBlades
Gratuitous pictures of driving my car in the DE.

A photographer was there and would take 40+ great pictures of your car for $50.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

John
no1uno
Great video. Looked like a lot of fun. Good points John about visibility and road feel. As I watched, I kept wanting you to go faster and faster... I'm sure you felt like that, too.
ThePaintedMan
Boy, John sure does have a way of making you fall in love with these cars all over again, huh? If you haven't met him yet, I hope you get a chance to. He has to be one of the most positive people I've ever met and really makes you feel good, even if you're driving an old tired piece of crap like mine.

Jon, we really weren't going that fast. The third lap I got to squeal the tires a little, but I think that's mostly cause they are garbage smile.gif Either way, the sensation in the car just can't be captured on video. We were having a ball for sure. If anyone hasn't tracked their car before, even autocross, I would highly recommend it (ensuring that its safe and everything is in working order, of course). You would not believe what our cars are capable of!

I'll post some exterior video of FourBlades coming through 17 and the hairpin soon. It was a hoot to watch for sure. Don't let his good nature fool you, he's fast and getting faster! Now we just need to get TC and/or Paul out there to show us what real racers can do...

I should also note, John drove his 911 to and from the track this weekend and was gracious enough to allow me to drive it to the gas station... my first time driving a tail dragger. What a blast - I feel very lucky!
naro914
We've been PCA members for almost 20 years now. When we joined in Northern NJ, we went to the 'new members reception' at a house that had a 'great room' that was bigger then our whole house!! But, tucked in their garage with the RS America, 930, Ferrari, Jag, etc, etc, etc were 2 914's (which they still have to this day!).

We never felt out of place... a bit poor compared to the people we hung out with...but never out of place.

Slowly but surely we got involved more and more. After we moved to NC, I eventually became region President, then Zone 3 Rep up until last year. Nadine has held a dozen region positions, plus National Club Race Timing and Scoring tech, now National Scrutineer.

We are both DE instructors, and I started Club Racing in 2006 (racing at Roebling Road this weekend)

Needless to say...we are a bit involved... smile.gif

Sure, things happen now and again that piss me off (like the entire management of our local region right now!!), but in reality, most of our closest friends we met through PCA events - be it track, autocross, socials, tours, meetings, etc.

***Some information for all you that may think PCA is an elitist group:

PCA National President Manny Alban is a 914 guy (and kicked my ass in an autocross in MY CAR!!)
PCA Executive Director Vu Nguyen is a 914 guy.
Husband of PCA VP Caren Cooper (West) races a highly modified 944 (OK, not a 914, but not a cup car either!)
PCA Legal Council is a 914 guy
PCA Safety Chair is a 914 gal...
5 of the PCA Race Scrutineers (that I know of) are 914 guys and gals
Until last year, Zone 3 Rep was a 914 guy...
And I'm sure there are a bunch of other 914's sitting in various garages of the PCA National Staff...

PCA membership is what you want to make of it. There are tons of things to do, and over 100,000 members. You'll find the group of people that like to do the same things as you and hang out with them...

As the saying goes... "It's not just the cars, its the People"
smj
Glad to hear you enjoyed your PCA event, George and John.

Been a PCA member since '97 starting in Zone 1. PCA people are just people, by and large everybody's just looking to have a good time. Even if you did run into an idiot, hopefully the other 95% make up for it. I enjoyed the DE program with just about every region in Zone 1 until moving to CA in 2005, then got sucked into region management... Plenty of headaches, but it did open my eyes to the other fun things that PCA does.

If it works for you, go for it. The DE and AX programs are generally a good way to get seat time and instruction. But if it doesn't, no worries - there are lots of other opportunities out there nowadays. Chumpcar among 'em.

George, it may help to remember that your PCA membership can get you discounts at various vendors. 10%, 15% - if you're still in starving student mode every little bit can help...
carr914
Here are some Hot Laps in a 74 Carrera ( look for the 997 Spinning at about 5:47)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wjFyOxExvI
ThePaintedMan
With our next DE a couple weeks out (this time both of our 914s will be there for their maiden track voyages), I thought I'd finally get around to posting some videos of John at Sebring in February. Sorry it took me so long - Youtube is a PITA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyGwRqMXbx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLwB7mgfLTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT5uEPHHL6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGXBTiSkexc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.