Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
I'd like to have this tank cleaned up. The last time I took a Spitfire fuel tank to a rad shop and had them put it in their ultrasonic tank, it came out mint. Bare to the bone.

What's the general procedure for a P-car oil tank?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(ginter @ May 17 2003, 07:27 PM)
What's the general procedure for a P-car oil tank?

if it were me, i'd ship it over to SmartRacing and have it cleaned, extended for more oil, and new (more) baffles. other than that, i donno. the filter is on the scavenge loop, which means the next stop for anything that gets stirred up in the tank is your oil pump, cooler, and main bearings, in that order...
Lawrence
Cleaning at a minimum. We talked about this last week. If you ever think you might upgrade your motor - follow the advice that Rich posted.
J P Stein
Unless there was a known problem, I would have carefully blocked off all openings prior to removing the tank from the car, done the outside maintainance and ...let sleeping dogs lie in the tanks interior.

Since it appears that didn't happen, a top notch cleaning of the inside is needed....with a bore scope inspection to follow....a job for a professional, me thinks. I have no idea who I would trust to have this done.....but, I would give Otto's a call for starters.
Gint
I knew this thing was going to be tanked at a minimum when I pulled it JP.
Gint
I don't understand the "extended for more oil, and new (more) baffles" deal. I spend enough money on oil. Can someone elaborate? Any other recomendations for doing the work besides Smart and Otto's?
Lawrence
More oil... more cooling capacity.

What do you spend on oil? You puttin that fancy new stuff in?
Gint
That's all? That's it? I think if I really need more cooling, there are more efficient ways to do it. Extra baffles? Why?
Lawrence
Prevents oil starvation during hard cornering, ie.. ax.
mr914
Is there any advantage in putting a scatter trap on the supply side betwen the tank and engine?
Brad Roberts
Gint,

Is the engine going back stock ?? or slightly pumped up ??

Have it cleaned and leave it alone. You dont plan to race the car.. and I have yet to see a oil starvation issue on anything under a 3.6 in a 914. Worst case scenerio... add a MUCH larger scavenge line....We run -20 braided.

I'm sure the Woods/Smart procedure works... but at what expense ??

B
Gint
Thanks Brad. That's where I was leaning anyway. The car might see a few DE's a year, but that's about it. Motor is not stock now, but it's nothing radical as you know.

Can I take to any old rad shop and have it ultrasonic'd (I use a good reputable shop here in town), or should I send it off to Smart or somewhere that knows these tanks?
Brad Roberts
I look at it this way:

It came out of a running/driving car. No need to send it anywhere. Take it to the place you used last and have it cleaned. Have them re shoot it with the thick radiator black they use ...and call it done.

B
Gint
Done. Thanks to all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.