Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help - Clutch Tube Loose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
I've read about plug welding the front bracket to avoid hacking a big hole in the tunnel. Does anyone have pictures, advice, lessons learned? From what I've read I need to drill a couple holes ~1/4" for the weld. Am I welding the bracket back to the tunnel? I assume we're not talking about welding the clutch tube directly to the tunnel as I would think there is a big risk of weld inside the tube that would restrict the cable. My neighbor is pretty good with a wire feed machine and has volunteered to help while I man the fire bottle.
Thanks for any advice you can provide...
Mike
underdog
just follow the Cap'n on this.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(underdog @ Feb 26 2013, 11:28 AM) *

there is a better NO weld solution using a pipe/cable hanger. I would need to fax you the info or email it. I could also snail mail.

"A better solution"? To be blunt, that method sucks. It DOES NOT provide for preventing fore and aft (axial) movement of the tube, which is what causes the center and rear welds to break. The ONLY proven, tried and true, method is welding or brazing. Done correctly, there won't be any compromise of the tube and the problem is unlikely to return.

The Cap'n
underdog
I yeild to the Cap'n.
Jeffs9146
FWIW, I would take this time to replace your fuel lines because as soon as you start welding in there you risk the old lines igniting! Don't ask me how I know this but trust me once those lines ignite just one small fire extinguisher is not enough!
Spoke
Here's how I fixed the clutch tube on my car. Took the tube out, straightened it, and rewelded.

Spoke's Progress Thread
JeffBowlsby
Use the search function on "clutch tube repair"

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...14150&st=20

michael7810
I do plan to replace the fuel lines while fixing the clutch tube. Not sure I understand the Crusty comment; I already planned on welding the tube as described in the first post. I'm sure once I peek in the tunnel I can figure out how to perform the plug weld; just wanted to see if anyone who's done it had advice. Thanks Jeff B for the pic and all for the advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.