Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planning question for my new 1973 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adiokyro
ok so I bought this car, many of you thought perhaps I shouldnt but I spoke with the guy and he assured me no hell hole rust etc, and I have ebay buyer protection, so I took the chance BECAUSE I LOVE HER!!!!
here's my question:
car has the original unsplit 2.0 converted to weber 44's
I have a spare 2.0 with the FI system minus the brain.
I want to A. have a great time driving the car, and B. have an eye towards retaining resale value for some day.
should I:
A. pull the carbs and install/upgrade the FI I have in a box on the car
B. bore and stroke and rebuild my 2.0 mildly, use the weber 44's on it and rip around, retaining the original matching #'s 2.0 with my FI system in my shed for future buyer restoration.
C. shut the hell up, save my money and drive the car.
(option 'C' is unlikely as I have the car parts bug bag.)
I would like a little pep whilst driving through hills not sure if stock 2.0 FI has much?
Ill of course address the rust spots, likely paint and install my 911 front suspension
thanks
adiokyro
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Feb 26 2013, 10:27 AM) *

ok so I bought this car, many of you thought perhaps I shouldnt but I spoke with the guy and he assured me no hell hole rust etc, and I have ebay buyer protection, so I took the chance BECAUSE I LOVE HER!!!!
here's my question:
car has the original unsplit 2.0 converted to weber 44's
I have a spare 2.0 with the FI system minus the brain.
I want to A. have a great time driving the car, and B. have an eye towards retaining resale value for some day.
should I:
A. pull the carbs and install/upgrade the FI I have in a box on the car
B. bore and stroke and rebuild my 2.0 mildly, use the weber 44's on it and rip around, retaining the original matching #'s 2.0 with my FI system in my shed for future buyer restoration.
C. shut the hell up, save my money and drive the car.
(option 'C' is unlikely as I have the car parts bug bag.)
I would like a little pep whilst driving through hills not sure if stock 2.0 FI has much?
Ill of course address the rust spots, likely paint and install my 911 front suspension
thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-GROUP-/14...e#ht_500wt_1183
KELTY360
Have you driven the car? I'd withhold judgement on engine upgrades til you've had a chance to see how it runs. IMO, FI is a better option than carbs, once it's sorted out, especially since MPS diaphragms are now available. '73 2.0 CHT availability is still problematic though. You can have a lot of fun with a stock 2.0. Unless you've got a deep wallet, don't be in a hurry to make changes til you've had a chance to see what you've got.

welcome.png
JamesM
Why no pics of the battery tray side? Oh well, to late now it sounds like.

As for the motor, if it is completly stock then I dont see how the carbs would be adding anything to it (other then hard cold starts). Slap the FI on it and have fun while while you build something hotter with the spare
JawjaPorsche
Good luck with the purchase and let us know your progress when you get her. Nice color! beerchug.gif
ellisor3
With most of these cars you will find that there are thing you MUST do to the car before you can do the things that you Want to do to the car.

Get the car home, do a through inspection, make a list of priorities and go from there. Start with things that are safety concerns first like fuel lines, suspension parts, and electrical wiring.

FI is the way to go for a daily/frequent driver.
adiokyro
thanks guys that all sounds like great advice. I asked him why he called it 's group' and he said some teeners over in ny said that theoretically it was an 's' dt having all options; however, not obviously really an 's' since P never had a 914 's'.
Then I read in my "how to restore and modify porsche 914" book (that i somehow had to spend 100$ to buy lol) that P WAS going to call the 73 2.0 "the 914s" , but then decided not to as they didnt want to affect their venerable 911s. interesting.
type47
The 2 previous owners are nearby the seller according to the ebay ad. You might ask them if they ever put a camshaft suited for carbs into the engine.
rgolia
so you went for it...... excellent, you will enjoy it either way. I have had carbs on mine since 1982, it is a 74. It has never failed me, but there is a big difference if you rebuild with a cam to match the carbs. Way more pull than the stock motor could ever do. My FI system was a pain in the butt and I spent quite some time on the side of the road waiting for the car to start.....thus the carbs were the cheap fix of the times. driving.gif
Cupomeat
I'd say I agree with ellisor;
1. Wash it and inspect everything.
2. Poke for rust in the obvious places
3. make a list of what you need to do for safety/preservation
4. make a list of what you WANT to do for fun
5. DEFINITELY put the FI back on if it is an unsplit 2.0l motor. You'll enjoy it more.

Congrat and good luck.

POST MORE PICS!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.