Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - Time for a little garage makeover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
A thread a while back asking about work benches led to several people posting pics of their garage and it gave me a slight shot of motivation to upgrade mine. My garage has seen my car get completely disassembled down to a rolling chassis, stripped down to bare metal, the 1.8 pulled, a 3.2 pulled, a 3.2 installed and another 3.2 finished off. Not too bad for a little suburban garage in Arizona. smile.gif

My hope is to give it a nice finished look but still have it be usable as need. Hopefully not *too* often!

The plan:

Refinish cabinets
All new paint on the walls
Fix the ceiling's endless cracks from the previous owners storing boxes and boxes of files in the attic.
New bench top
New racks to go over the hood of the car
Epoxy floor
Cool 914 & Porsche stuff added

I don't have too many great before pics other than when these jokers were here for my engine install and Jason's(AZ914's) engine hook up and when I was storing a car for some other guy....So the basic starting point:

MoveQik
Storing some random car....

MoveQik
So, step one. The fake white wash cabinets are now covered in genuine paint. I shot it with a spray gun and it really turned out pretty clean.

MoveQik
I know, I know....everyone hates eBay. However, I picked these up and are going to look really sharp once in place.
mepstein
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 23 2013, 11:08 PM) *

I'm with Rob.
Give them some time.

I too believe that some one should continue on.
I'm thinking pay something for the machine drawings.
Then pay them something for each part sold.
Kind of like a royalty.

My .02c for tonight.

Very nice!
JmuRiz
Cool space and stuff, I'll enjoy watching the progress...nice motor choices too, I have a 2.7 going into mine but would change that if I found a good 3.2.
eric9144
I have a couple of the Flea-bay banners, they do look sweet in the garage! wub.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 26 2013, 01:05 PM) *

Epoxy floor

Are you using a product that is compatible with pancake syrup?
euro911
Looks way too clean, Mike laugh.gif

I can only dream of a tidy garage dry.gif
SLITS
Epoxy ...... You're gonna piss off AlGore & the tree huggers .....

why you're a damn .... uh .... Capitalist Pig / Environmental Terrorist!
MoveQik
On the garage fridge, just for you Slits. biggrin.gif

Madswede
Mike I've some experience in doing epoxy on floors. Did that for two weeks straight at a warehouse that was going to store drugs ... I mean medicine ... back in one of my college summer jobs. They wanted Imron™ so it took a while especially the cleaning and prep work. I'd be happy to give any advice needed, even happier to give any unneeded. laugh.gif
carr914
I used to sell Epoxy Floor Coatings - I will tell you the Results will be all about Prep!
MoveQik
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 27 2013, 04:38 PM) *

I used to sell Epoxy Floor Coatings - I will tell you the Results will be all about Prep!

I would agree. This is the one thing that I am considering hiring out, just for that reason. In our heat, it will get pulled right off the floor if not done properly.
euro911
I used to snort the stuff smoke.gif
MoveQik
I stole this from another member here. The peel and stick vinyl tiles. Easily cleaned and/or replaced. smile.gif

Also had the compressor and welder given their own dedicated outlets as well. Finally.
AZ914
Lookin' good so far Mike!
euro911
Getting kind of racey there, Mike

Click to view attachment
MoveQik
I almost hate to put cars in there.

Kaduku
Wow! I likey alot! aktion035.gif

JmuRiz
Excellent looking floor!
TravisNeff
The floors look great Wills! Who did the work? I need to get my shop done one of these days.
AZ914
Now that looks good!
MoveQik
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 28 2013, 11:43 AM) *

The floors look great Wills! Who did the work? I need to get my shop done one of these days.

Thanks Travis. I used THESE GUYS and they did a great job. Better pricing than most too.
Cairo94507
Michael- Did you DIY or have a company come in and do it? Also is that the finish as it was done or did you wax it or something. Looks very nice. wub.gif
TravisNeff
I will be giving them a call, thanks! Did you do the 4 or 5 layer system?
brant
that came out gorgeous!

nice job!
MoveQik
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 29 2013, 11:31 AM) *

I will be giving them a call, thanks! Did you do the 4 or 5 layer system?

Not the 5 layer. I didn't like the way it looked. They power washed it and then chemically cleaned it. Then a coat of etching primer. Then epoxy. Then the flakes. Then the next day a light sanding and a final clear coat. I wasn't happy with some air bubbles in a few places. Without any question they came back out, sanded it and put a new clear coat on it. Great service for sure.

It comes with a 5 year warranty against any peeling or defects.

The pics are before re-doing the clear coat. To answer the other question, this is how the floor looks as completed. No waxing or polishing needed with the epoxy. willis.gif
MoveQik
Everything is moved back in.

Click to view attachment

A little decor from 20 short years ago. blink.gif Yeah, I was one of those lowered truck guys.
Click to view attachment

More current stuff. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
MoveQik
Yes, it squeezes in right under that shelf.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Every garage needs at least one lady.

Click to view attachment
zambezi
Does it seem like it would be slippery if it got damp? I would like to do something like that to my house garage but don't want the wife slipping unloading groceries.
Chris H.
You can add a non-slip agent to an epoxy floor...sand-like substance I think.
MoveQik
QUOTE(zambezi @ Apr 1 2013, 10:13 AM) *

Does it seem like it would be slippery if it got damp? I would like to do something like that to my house garage but don't want the wife slipping unloading groceries.

Our floor was finished really smooth to begin with so it was slippery when wet. I don't imagine this will be any worse. You can opt for a sand finish as well that would eliminate any issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.