Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Dansk OEM Muffler finally installed.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RustyWa
Finally got the SS heat exchangers and the new Dansk OEM style (banana/sausage) muffler installed and the car fired up. Let the car idle while all the oil and grease smudges smoked off. While I was checking for exhaust leaks, I was feeling around the flanges of the muffler to heat exchangers and felt air.

Turns out that it was the muffler that was leaking along it's center seam. Damn! ar15.gif unsure.gif It leaks right above the drivers side flange, about a 6" long section is blowing air, and another small leak on the passenger sides end. All of them are on the seam between the two halves.

Looks like a call to the vendor is in order and another back order wait.

Well...it looked good and sounded good for a while.
ChrisReale
Are both mating surfaces smooth? Did you install new gaskets? I know you are not new at this, but if it saves a long wait for a back ordered item....
RustyWa
Oh yea, everything is new, except the HE's.

It's not leaking from the flanges, but from the actual seam between the upper and lower halves of the "banana" muffler.
ChrisReale
Oh, so the muffler itself is leaking...that sucks. Maybe if the back order is too long, dave at Triad maybe would re-weld the seal? I know, it should have been perfect when you received it, but it doesnt always work that way. That really is a bummer.
rhodyguy
welding/fixing on a brand new muffler!! needless to say i would be more than a little hot.

kevin
Bleyseng
I gotta friend who can weld darn near anything if you need it.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. sorry to hear your DANSK muffler sucked..LOL

I cant say anything... we dont have a muffler for the 914 (yet)

We have 3 new DANSK mufflers at the shop that we are going to cut apart and "expose" on the website one day. Crappiest work we have seen in a long time.

Stainless on the outside and mild steel on the inside (they rust from the inside out).

B
RustyWa
Thanks for all your support there Brad. finger.gif ..now you got me wondering what my chances are of not getting a leaker...

I didn't think the one I had was stainless on the outside.....just the tip.

As far as rusting out on the inside goes...I've seen some mufflers have a small 1/16" hole on the low point of the muffler for the condensation to get out quicker. I'm not sure if it would help, but I've seen the one on my Jeep squirting water out before in the mornings, and that muffler is still going (I won't say strong) after 7 years. (knock on wood)
Brad Roberts
They use a grey metal paint to cover the muffler... take it off with a wire wheel and you will see that it is stainless on the outside (its this way on a 911 muffler..it may be different on the 914) Basically they only polish the tip (notice the paint line?) The stainless mufflers they sell are fully polished.

I like the idea of the drain holes...

We will have a 100% stainless muffler before I turn 40 (LOL)

B
RustyWa
Talked with Performance Products (the vendor) this morning about getting a new muffler. They had one in stock, so they are going to be sending it out with new gaskets and a return shipping label. Then I'll just box mine up and ship.

About a five minute phone call. Much easier than I was expecting.

Hopefully the next one will be of better construction.
RustyWa
Got my replacement muffler. The vendor 2nd day aired it. (aired...is that a word?)

Brad, you are correct...I did the magnet trick on the muffler and it no sticky..except for the flanges, pipes and welds. This is very interesting because the first muffler I got, just the tip was stainless. Everything else the magnet would stick to.

The other thing different between the two. The SS one has two angled support braces coming off the inlet flanges back to the muffler seam where as the mild steel one does not.

The part numbers are the same....both revision "D" but the other stamped numbers are different. 03 96 for the mild steel and 19 02 for the stainless.

Hopefully this new one will not leak. Seams look better on the replacement.
Brad Roberts
I'm just happy they didnt stiff you.

Something we are completely and absolutley amazed at:

Both PP's ARGUE that Dansk and GHL have the BEST customer service in aftermarket Porsche parts..

How about NO F-ing customer service ???... I should NOT have to send crap back and be happpy because "I received great customer service" when I called to send the piece of SHIT back.

The world is changing. Its all about "great customer service" what ever happened to "great product" that didnt need customer service to back it up ??

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.