Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do people pull out in front of your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
I've noticed that people are always turning or pulling out in front of me while driving. It's very anoying because I have to slow down to not hit them. Does this happen to any of you?

Maybe..
They can't see the car?
They think it's a triumph or something, and think it's slow?
People are just stupid and don't know how to drive?
JawjaPorsche
I went down to Atlanta this past weekend to help my daughter move. No, I did not take my 914 down there because Atlanta has some of the worst drivers. Everyone is texting and driving too. I like the slow life up here in the mountains.
yeahmag
My favorite is when people pull out if front of my truck when I'm pulling a trailer. Don't even get me started about people cutting off commercial trucks...
andys
Driving a small low car takes a different type of driving, not unlike a motorcycle. Assume people don't see you. You didn't know 914's are not visible in daylight?

Andys
Hammy
Many, many times. If they don't see an SUV they'll assume no one's there. Air horns are nice.
Black22
This is why I run my Pilot driving lights ALWAYS! I use them as daytime running lights and keep them on at night as well. They seem to see me.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 26 2013, 05:44 PM) *

This is why I run my Pilot driving lights ALWAYS! I use them as daytime running lights and keep them on at night as well. They seem to see me.

The Cap'n is gonna get you! poke.gif He never disapoints. Although I do agree with you.
wildman
I drive everything from my 914 up to my dad's '74 international semi. I think i have more trouble with idiot drivers pulling out in front of the semi with 30,000lbs of hay. But, like others have said, I always drive my 914 like no one sees me. unsure.gif
jdlmodelt
Nope. THey are not used to seeing a teener around here so they are stunned and sit there watching me drive by! Haha! MY concern is someone not seeing me when I am pulling past them on the right on a two lane.
Black22
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Feb 26 2013, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 26 2013, 05:44 PM) *

The Cap'n is gonna get you! poke.gif He never disapoints. Although I do agree with you.

Naaw, I'm not using them to see with, I'm using them so others can see ME!

I think the Cap'n's problem with them is that they are useless as driving lights because you can't adjust them correctly. (mounted too low to be effective) I use them because they are bright and I get noticed. biggrin.gif
damesandhotrods
That’s odd, I had a 70s Eldorado Convertible back in the late 90s and with the top down it was as low as a 914. But everyone always seemed to see 3 tons of hardened steel coming down the road. Even Humvees trembled before it. As far as people walking or driving in front of you; VW Beetles easily the worst for that.
speed metal army
Just talked about this today..Its pretty neat( sad.gif ) when you pull up to a light and the truck beside you has tires that are taller than the bottom of your passenger window. huh.gif
And yeah people dont seem to see my car as much as I would like.I go into motorcycle mode.Self preservation is the key! beerchug.gif
ScoopLV
A dipshizzle driver backed into my first 914 while I was fueling it at a gas station. He was at the pump in front of me, and simply got into his souped-up 4x4 and floored it in reverse. Didn't see me. (Probably didn't look. Was also probably drunk.)

His insurance company fought me every step of the way. But I got a new front end out of the deal. I'm just glad I was standing off to the side fueling the car. Otherwise my handle would be "WheelchairLV" or similar.
euro911
It doesn't matter what type of vehicle you're driving. A lot of drivers don't know how to gauge another vehicle's speed because they only look once mad.gif

Drive defensively.
Lou W
They don't when I'm driving mine, but when I'm in my Prius they do all the time, it's almost like they don't think it's a car.
balljoint
Happens all the time. Especially if there is already a car in front of you. No one will ever see you behind another car. Especially if it is one of those enormous Miatas. ohmy.gif Our roofs aren't even as tall as the bottoms of the windows on most trucks and SUVs.

Drive it as you would a motorcycle.

Well, not exactly. But defensively...

ripper911
I guess my black trunks don't help people see me...

IPB Image

You definately have to watch out for people in their big 'ol new cars.
FourBlades

I keep wondering if painting some contrasting stripes would help at all.

Maybe white stripes on my blue car will make it show up more.

If I had to start over I would paint the whole car bright yellow just so people will see it.

John
76-914
In SoCal it's pretty much the norm. Fat women in SUV's ar15.gif
scott_in_nh
I did the mod where I can keep the stock fog lights on all the time.
costs nothing and I think it helps a lot.

I also leave enough of a gap so that they can see me past the car in front of me.

I ride motorcycles too and agree that you need to drive it with the same consideration you ride with (trust nobody because you are invisible).
balljoint
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Feb 27 2013, 08:43 AM) *

I keep wondering if painting some contrasting stripes would help at all.

Maybe white stripes on my blue car will make it show up more.

If I had to start over I would paint the whole car bright yellow just so people will see it.

John

biggrin.gif Yellow doesn't help.
carr914
I don't think it's the 914 - I've had plenty of people pull right in front of me when I'm driving my Ford SuperCrew. Just too many stupid drivers out there.
tod914
I constantly feel like I'm playing Frogger here. One of the main reasons it's doesn't go out much.
OU8AVW
People assume a 914 is on jack stands.... biggrin.gif
pcar916
This was a problem even before cell phones, and most folks aren't paying attention to their surroundings even with ear-buds. Fewer still use peripheral vision, which has saved me many times over the years.

People get into a car and are alone with their thoughts... ok. Sometimes there aren't any thoughts, but you get the point. A car is a little like a toilet seat but with a few more controls and different noises. Folks use it as a place to think about their lives. That's especially true in a big comfortable car or truck.

That's why I'm painting my 914 a light color rather than the dark blue it's been most of it's life. Even now in primer-gray (after massive bodywork) I feel more "seeable", but I won't let that lull me into a false sense of security.

Drive 914's like you're on motorcycle and assume they don't see you.

We ALL need good luck on this one.
dlestep
Those assholes pull to a stop, look left and see a glint of color, low to the ground, so "it has to be far away"...then, ZIP !, the 914 is right on them and they almost T-bone you. Especially in SE Florida where the worst out of state/city drivers are from Quebec; Michigan; and West Palm Beach.
They take a "snap-shot" view and are not watching the dynamics of the traffic.
Ductech
umm.... I don't seem to get cut off very often... Granted my 914 is kinda loud and makes turbo noises. You have to drive like everyone has a magnet thats attracted to your old german metal ass. Drive it like you stole it and everyone is the cops!
JmuRiz
Happens more to me when cars change lanes in front of me. I may run with my fogs on all the time once I put me car back together with the engman flasher kit installed.

My car was loud and Revenna Green when it was up and running, so no real excuse not to see/hear it.

I used to ride motorcycles and drive it like I'm on a bike.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.