Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank strainer/sock replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I have my tank pulled out to replace the strainer/sock. I can't seem to figure out how the sock removes from the outlet nipple. I know there's a crush washer that goes in there somewhere but I'm not sure I'm seeing it. Any help?

Have a pic for reference. This is with the strainer/sock cut off.
yeahmag
The end of the sock is the light colored metal sitting on the "lip" of the nipple. Just slide a utility knife in there and it should pop off.
Hammy
Thanks. That's what I assumed but didn't want to force it.
Cevan
When I replaced mine, the crush washer was built into the strainer.
JawjaPorsche
I am so glad this discussion has come up because I am going to replace mine when I replace my plastic fuel lines. If there is a way to screw it up I will! So I am asking questions! I took picture of what received. In the plastic bag was gasket ring. Can you tell me the assembly steps! Where does the gasket ring go? The crush washer, is built in? Thank you so much in advance!
SLITS
Gasket under the nut ... strainer slips on and is held against hole in tank.
Mark Henry
Just an FYI, the strainer and washers are common aircooled VW parts

strainer 111-209-147-A
washers 111-209-139
peteyd
Is it really necessary to have the strainer? Shouldn't a fuel filter be sufficient enough?

I'm about to put my tank back into my car and don't see the purpose if there's a filter right after.

Pete
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(peteyd @ Feb 27 2013, 12:13 PM) *

Is it really necessary to have the strainer? Shouldn't a fuel filter be sufficient enough?

I'm about to put my tank back into my car and don't see the purpose if there's a filter right after.

Pete

Because Porsche/Karmann designed it that way? Strainer keeps leaves and things that WILL eventually drop into the tank from clogging the lines BEFORE the filter. If you want to remove the tank again for fun, then just leave it out. biggrin.gif
Hammy
Is there anything I should be putting around the gasket or threads to guarantee seal?
SLITS
QUOTE(Hammy @ Feb 27 2013, 12:30 PM) *

Is there anything I should be putting around the gasket or threads to guarantee seal?

No ....

charliew
All of the fi pumps I have seen suck through a sock and push through a filter.
Hammy
Ok so I hit the local VW shop today and bought a few items. I explained the fuel tank strainer I needed and the grommet/washer, he said he had what I needed in a kit. I didn't bother to take a look at it until I got home but what I got was an EMPI kit for what looks like a bug tank. The nut and felt washer that come with it look the same, but instead the strainer/sock is a plastic material. Is this going to work?
TheCabinetmaker
Go away Gerry. We hate spam here.
Hammy
Anyone know?
SLITS
QUOTE(Hammy @ Feb 28 2013, 11:25 AM) *

Anyone know?

Most socks made these days are plastic; it doesn't have to be metal.
Hammy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 28 2013, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Feb 28 2013, 11:25 AM) *

Anyone know?

Most socks made these days are plastic; it doesn't have to be metal.

Thanks Ron, just making sure...since The owner of this VW parts shop is often rude /smartass and has been known to give false Info before.
Hammy
dry.gif So after opening the package to determine if it were the right size, I found that the plastic strainer is much too small to fit. I bet he won't return it either. mad.gif

Which year bus will have the same size metal strainer?
luskesq
Google the part # given you and you will find that part went into a number of VW's, 1954-72 Transporter, 1956-1974 Bug, '73-'74 Thing, '66-'73 T-3's, and more. Any decent import shop or our usual vendors should have one and they are cheap.

Good luck,

Keith
Rotary'14
If you can't find it locally,,,, I have some of the metal style fuel tank socks,,, I can sell you one with 2 sealing rings for $12 via USPS in a padded envelope,, assuming you're in the continental USA.

-Robert

TheCabinetmaker
Look at item f on this page. They do same day shipping or I can pick one up and get it in the mail today. I know its the right part. I've replaced more than one. He has the proper fuel filters also.

http://www.bughaus.com/type249.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.