Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Identify These Wires-Headlight Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Tidying up my front end and spent a good 10 hours total trying to line up the headlight covers on a car that was previously hit.

Was wiring the motor up and saw these set of three wires in the harness. Any ideas?

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
It looks like it should be similar to a 71; can't find a 70 diagram in color. It's all in the upper right corner.
IPB Image
nathansnathan
oh yeah, 11 is the right headlight wink.gif
7TPorsh
The three wires that were hooked to the headlight are a different three wires; wrapped in blue in the pic.

Car is a 1970...no driving lights.
7TPorsh
I should add the motor, light and side light all work.
nathansnathan
It looks like the blue is in-addition-to, that was added as there is some problem with the stock wires, which are the 3 that are disconnected.
7TPorsh
The wires under the blue tape looked original. But you are suggesting that they were added as "jumpers"?

I wouldn't be surprised with the things I am finding in this car.
904svo
Any chance that the PO had installed rally lights on the hood?:
7TPorsh
QUOTE(904svo @ Feb 27 2013, 10:41 AM) *

Any chance that the PO had installed rally lights on the hood?:

No, don't think so. Have to see if it gets power with the switch I guess.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 27 2013, 10:25 AM) *

The wires under the blue tape looked original. But you are suggesting that they were added as "jumpers"?

I wouldn't be surprised with the things I am finding in this car.

Yeah, the direction it is headed back is wrong. All the wires for the passenger front lights are strung back to the driver side along the front clip, and then back along the floor of the trunk. -Everything forward of the gas tank should be going through the plastic tube next to spare tire.
toolguy
In the factory harness, a 3 lead jacket with Brown yellow and white wires are ground high beams and low beams, that should go to the bulb with the 3 prong connector. . . pull out a meter and test to see if these have voltage, and continuity with the wires on you lights. .

The hardest thing to figure out on old cars is what the last PO did. . especially when they didn't know what they were doing in the first place. . . . . possibility he used the same colors as the factory did but who knows what for. . OR these are the factory wires and the PO rewired the lights using some other wires, rather than fix a previous problem. . .It's a wild ass guess at this point. . . .

See if you can get a sense of what goes where if all the lights are currently working. . If it was me, I'd pull the harness all the way out on both sides, and fix it to factory specs and colors, and put on new black harness covering while you're at it . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.