Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
What is the best way to store a FI fuel pump after it's removed. Should it be oiled ?
Black22
Just me, but I would run a little Marvel Mystery oil through it and then add a little to each port and cap them.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 27 2013, 02:40 PM) *

Just me, but I would run a little Marvel Mystery oil through it and then add a little to each port and cap them.

Would you hook up the electrical and suck the oil through it ?
reharvey
If you store it dry it'll leak when hooked back up. I found that out the hard way.
tod914
I put Marvel in mine as well.
JamesM
What I have done with pumps and injectors is spray them down heavily/fill the ports with WD-40 (water dispersant) and seal them in a zip-lock bag removing as much air as possible and then place that in another air tight disposable Tupperware (easier to store + better protection) Not sure if this is the right way to go but it seemed like a good way to keep things from drying up/rusting/corroding
Black22
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 27 2013, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Feb 27 2013, 02:40 PM) *

Would you hook up the electrical and suck the oil through it ?

Yes Jim, I would hook up the suction port to a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil and run it very briefly until it came out of the output. Then fill up all the ports with the oil, cap and store in a heavy duty freezer bag.

The Tupperware storage idea is good as well!
dlee6204
agree.gif Yup. I use MM oil too. Cap the outlets, and then place in a ziploc bag.
IronHillRestorations
I'd stay away from WD-40 as it's a penetrating oil. FWIW WD-40 will ruin brass shell casings. I was told by an MFI pump rebuilder to store it with ATF.
jim_hoyland
Thanks for info. Gonna get some MMO tomorrow smile.gif
Black22
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 27 2013, 06:59 PM) *

Thanks for info. Gonna get some MMO tomorrow smile.gif

Jim,

The MMO is good for a LOT of different things. I put about a 1/2 Oz. in my engine with every oil change and also in the gas tank every other fill up (or when I remember.) blink.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 27 2013, 09:59 PM) *

I'd stay away from WD-40 as it's a penetrating oil. FWIW WD-40 will ruin brass shell casings. I was told by an MFI pump rebuilder to store it with ATF.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.