Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rod to crank assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
I had a slight issues while assembling one of the rods to my crank.

As I got the nuts snugged up the rod was tight and didn't really rotate.
Pulled it back apart and looks like the bearing must have slipped or rotated, and the tang on the bearing crushed and actually marred up the slot on the connecting rod too.

Bearing looks like it is toast
Can you buy just 2 halves of a rod bearing or do you have to buy a whole other set?

Hopefully cleaning up the rod won't mess up the balance job too bad.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jmargush @ Feb 27 2013, 04:44 PM) *

I had a slight issues while assembling one of the rods to my crank.

As I got the nuts snugged up the rod was tight and didn't really rotate.
Pulled it back apart and looks like the bearing must have slipped or rotated, and the tang on the bearing crushed and actually marred up the slot on the connecting rod too.

Bearing looks like it is toast
Can you buy just 2 halves of a rod bearing or do you have to buy a whole other set?

Hopefully cleaning up the rod won't mess up the balance job too bad.

Last set I bought from Summit Racing came as individual boxes of 2 bearing halves. Well, those were Chevy journal bearings...Clevites...
Mike Bellis
I think you have to buy a whole set unless you can exactly identify it (by size and part number) and deal with a manufacturer.

Most people do not have spares... sad.gif
jmargush
I guess I will end up with some spares.
Valy
Post an add in the classifieds. Maybe someone went through the same thing.
I don't thing the rod got damaged since the bearings are soft and will give first.
Valy
Post an add in the classifieds. Maybe someone went through the same thing.
I don't thing the rod got damaged since the bearings are soft and will give first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.