Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noisy fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bluhun
My fuel pump is making an annoying raspy noise that is audible from inside the car.
Is there a cure for this other than replacing the pump and hoping that the replacement won't be just as noisy?
TheCabinetmaker
It would help if you gave enough info for us to make a proper diagnosis. If this is an injected engine, it's probably a dirty filter. The fuel pump ( especially the later models)are noisy when starved for fuel.
type47
fuel pump for carbs can be annoyingly noisy.
last337
I bought a new facet pump awhile back and its always making noise. Sometimes it gets really loud
Tedman5
QUOTE(last337 @ Feb 28 2013, 05:00 AM) *

I bought a new facet pump awhile back and its always making noise. Sometimes it gets really loud

ar15.gif like this?? LOL

I love the clacking of my Facet. Its ressurance that fuel is flowing. wink.gif
rhodyguy
did you guys put some sort of isolator between the pump and the chassis or metal to metal? facets are good for pumping out a fuel tank thru the fill hole and that's about it.
Tedman5
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 1 2013, 10:15 AM) *

did you guys put some sort of isolator between the pump and the chassis or metal to metal? facets are good for pumping out a fuel tank thru the fill hole and that's about it.

Yes, a piece of foam rubber insulation but it still makes some noise. That's funny, my fuel pumps into the carbs and runs like a raped ape! beerchug.gif
mr914
First, Is the car fuel injected or carburated?

If Fuel Injection, should be near dead quiet. you might hear a whirring.

If it is carburated. Locate the fuel pump and determine what type. Facets are square about an inch and a half by two inches. These can be really noisy when directly mounted to the body. I have used rubber isolation mounts. favorite is VW Golf/Rabbit radiator mounts to keep them quiet. I have also seen on the front mounts, foam and zip ties to mount the pump to the cross member or stering rack. I dont recommend this approach, but if you have a facet and it is solid mounted. It is a good way to test to see if it is what the problem is.

I personally think that the facets can cause problems with carbs because they can cause surging/pulsating. If you use a pressure regulator, this should not cause a problem. My solution is a low pressre vane style pump, holley etc..., and a pressure regulator.

beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.