Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need photo of front factory installed swaybar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine9three
I am about to install a factory front sway bar that I have had for the past 20 years and would like to see photos of the sway bar mounted below the fuel tank (inside). Did the factory actually modify the cars by cutting out the area just below the embossed area or can the triangle mount up. I don't want to make any cuts to the body if not needed. Is there a clearance issue with the fuel tank if placed mount (triangle) up?

Photo's please!
914Sixer
Factory plate is mounted and welded to the outside. Plate follows the contour stamped on the inside of wheel well. See my post on the 16th of Feb 2013 in this forum. I am technically inept to post the information here.
ww914
QUOTE(nine9three @ Feb 28 2013, 03:36 PM) *

I am about to install a factory front sway bar that I have had for the past 20 years and would like to see photos of the sway bar mounted below the fuel tank (inside). Did the factory actually modify the cars by cutting out the area just below the embossed area or can the triangle mount up. I don't want to make any cuts to the body if not needed. Is there a clearance issue with the fuel tank if placed mount (triangle) up?

Photo's please!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hope these help.
nine9three
Thanks for the reply and all nice photos but really haven't got an answer on the orientation of the triangular mount. Does it absolutely need to be "point down", and is it necessary to cut out that area inside the fuel tank area. Need factory photos from inside the tank area please!!
flash914
The stamping of the metal dictates the way that they are mounted. Ifyou turn it point up it will not rest flat on the stamped steel. You could try hammering it flat but I think you would add stress to the area. Gordon.
nine9three
QUOTE(flash914 @ Mar 1 2013, 11:27 AM) *

The stamping of the metal dictates the way that they are mounted. Ifyou turn it point up it will not rest flat on the stamped steel. You could try hammering it flat but I think you would add stress to the area. Gordon.

Ok, I can see that. Placing the mount in that orientation, necessitates the removal of metal for the bottom of the mount. Would like to see a factory job in gas tank area.
scott_in_nh
Do a search, you have to cut away a small section of the top of the boxed section to install the inner mounting plate.
I didn't want to do it either, but there isn't any other way to access that area.

EDIT: here is a link:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ont_swaybar.htm
mr914
Down!

If you look at the stampings, you will see that the profile matches the brackets and holder in the down position. Otherwise, when you cut out the support member for the front, you would have to cut out several inches rather than a 1 1/2"x 3/4" slot.

I know I scratched my head a few years ago on this one. beer.gif
914werke
For a "FACTORY" installation no removal of metal inside the trunk is necessary.
As was already described, 4 holes and the semi-triangular nut-plate's pictured in the provided link above were welded on the fender-well wall.
The Triangular bracket from Welt. was their way of addressing the same application.
ww914
QUOTE(nine9three @ Mar 1 2013, 11:03 AM) *

Thanks for the reply and all nice photos but really haven't got an answer on the orientation of the triangular mount. Does it absolutely need to be "point down", and is it necessary to cut out that area inside the fuel tank area. Need factory photos from inside the tank area please!!

I think everyone here has answered your question. It would be real hard to find photos of a factory install from the inside. The photo I showed you was not a factory install, but an aftermarket install in the 80's, according the my paperwork. As someone pointed out, the second small photo shows the position of the bracket. Not sure what manufacturer it is. I have since installed a Tarrett bar. It is a little different and had to do some extra work getting it installed. I have pictures if you want to see them.
gothspeed
Here is the Pelican diagram for mounting the 914 front sway bar:

From this link:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ont_swaybar.htm
nine9three
Pretty clear on how the factory install should look and install. I guess now the question is what would be better. The factory mount welded to the inside fender or aftermarket mount with the fender sandwiched in the middle?

confused24.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(nine9three @ Mar 2 2013, 05:18 PM) *

Pretty clear on how the factory install should look and install. I guess now the question is what would be better. The factory mount welded to the inside fender or aftermarket mount with the fender sandwiched in the middle?

confused24.gif

Depends on your definition of better.
Personally, I wouldn't even consider using the factory method except on a stock vehicle getting a stock anti-sway bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.