Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Play on Steering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I have a small play from left to right on the steering wheel. What do I need and how hard to replace?
VaccaRabite
There is a bushing in the steering column that the steering shaft rides in. That has come loose just behind the wheel. It needs to be put back in place.

Zach
914itis
Thanks , pics would be helpful. I have no idea of what I would be looking for .
JawjaPorsche
I really hope Zach's suggestion is correct. Unfortunately my steering had the same problems and the problem was a worn out steering coupler. See bad and new coupler and you can see the play in the holes.
914itis
Was the play left to right as I stated above?
JawjaPorsche
Yes, steering was very sloppy. I had about half inch of play both directions.
914itis
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 28 2013, 08:34 PM) *

Yes, steering was very sloppy. I had about half inch of play both directions.

Any picture on where in the wheel that part is located and where to get it. How hard was that Ti change?
VaccaRabite
IPB Image
here is my car.
On the shaft you see a copper sleeve. Behind the copper sleeve is a corrugated bushing. On mine, the bushing kept working loose. I got some copper pipe connectors from Home Depot and made this sleeve. Keeps the bushing in place.
On a stock wheel, there is a keeper that does the job. My wheel is not stock, so no keeper.
Zach
Cap'n Krusty
Do you mean side to side play, or slight rotational play? Side to side play will also exhibit up and down play if caused by a worn or damaged steering column bushing or bearing. Rotational play can be caused by steering shaft u-joints, the coupler, worn tie rod ends, or worn tie rod bushings. Not necessarily in that order.

The Cap'n
914itis
The best I can describe is that, with the car not in motion, I can shake the wheel left to right and see the whole Colum move anout an inch to the left and same to the right. I just Replaced my wheel with a non-stock and the play was there prior.
JawjaPorsche
The Cap'n is correct. The problem could be anywhere so there is no simple answer. My problem just happen to be the steering coupler. I have attached picture for all the parts of steering. My part I replaced was #22. Good luck.
914itis
Thanks all.
JawjaPorsche
I started at the steering wheel and felt the U-joints for play and worked my way down until I saw the slop in my steering coupler. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look and feel for play.

Here is forum discussion on replacing the steering coupler.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=169863&hl=

Hope this helps.

Terry
76-914
Paul, did you say the entire column assm is rotating. i.e. the cover and turn signal stalk are moving. too??? If so, be sure the allen head bolts are snug. And now for my dumb bootyshake.gif side. Do our steering boxes have the worm gear adjuster like American cars??? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 1 2013, 12:16 PM) *
If so, be sure the allen head bolts are snug.

agree.gif

If the whole column is moving left/right, the 4 bolts that hold it to the chassis are lose.
smash.gif
914itis
Alright, I manage to reduce the play by 40%. The single bolt under the steering column was missing . Now the 60% is right where Zach pointed out. Zach can you help me out with pipe sice and joe to modify. I have a non-stock wheel.
Dr Evil
Here are some pics for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.