Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: noise coming from behind
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
so when I'm accelerating no noise. When I'm decelerating, letting the car coast against the engine. I hear a rattling noise like a loose, rattly hub cap? I don't have hub caps. Ideas? the sound is coming somewhere behind me. Heat exchanger rattling?

bandjoey
If it's the HE's just grab hold and see if it shakes. Possibly needing a valve adjustment?
jdlmodelt
common' guys...what kinds of rattling noises have you heard coming from behind the firewall. Engine related, tranny related, heat exchanger, wheel bearings, muffler...?
jim_hoyland
The last time I heard rattling it turned out to be a stubby screwdriver that got into the fan housing... sad.gif
JawjaPorsche
My guess is valve adjustment is needed but that is just a guess. Get under the car and grab things like muffler and exchangers and see if they move. Could be that simple. Good luck.
sportlicherFahrer
I used to have issues with my heater control flap assemblies making noise on the engine bar. Put a piece of cut fuel hose on the heater flap edge and safety wired the flap to the engine bar. Problem solved. Last noise from the engine compartment I had turned out to be a valve seat dropping. That is not so easy to take care of...
somd914
Had a similar issue when my fan came loose. For a while I heard a rattling under acceleration/deceleration, thought I had a loose cooling tin on the underside, didn't think much about. Drove it a few hundred miles thinking "I'll get to it", then the noise got louder suddenly and really got my attention. Center bolt on the fan had backed out - time for tow home.

Do you hear the noise with reving the engine on the driveway?

Do you hear it coasting with clutch in or coasting in neutral?

jdlmodelt
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 28 2013, 07:48 PM) *

Had a similar issue when my fan came loose. For a while I heard a rattling under acceleration/deceleration, thought I had a loose cooling tin on the underside, didn't think much about. Drove it a few hundred miles thinking "I'll get to it", then the noise got louder suddenly and really got my attention. Center bolt on the fan had backed out - time for tow home.

Do you hear the noise with reving the engine on the driveway?

Do you hear it coasting with clutch in or coasting in neutral?

I think it only occurs engaged in gear, 3rd gear and up and with clutch engaged. not clutch depressed. I'll verify all this tomorrow. It only occurs when in gear, clutch engaged and decelerating under engine compression with no breaking.
914itis
I would check transmission fluid. I had a similar noise, I didn't know what it was until I found out the my engine oil leak was in fact the transmission Leaking from the front seal. Luckily, no damage .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.