Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many 3.6 engines in 914s?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
How many of you have Porsche 3.6L engines?

Is it a 964 or 993?

Does any one have a Euro 993 3.6 (solid lifter)?

How did you modify the rest of your car to handle the power?

POST PICTURES!

I'll assume you've all seen enough of mine, but if any one wants to see anything specific, let me know.

burnout.gif
East coaster
I'm in the midst of a 964 based 3.6 conversion. I'm going to be using a 915 wevo configured tranny w/limited slip and 930 syncros. Haven't settled on an oil cooler setup yet, still brain storming. I have some pics on an older thread that show sheetmetal mods, flipping the intake runners to make it fit in the engine bay without hackery, pulley mods, european racing headers, etc...

Also, Search on posts from "Ron S", he's about a year ahead of me doing a 3.6 job and has posted some excellent project/progress pics.
Wild 6
I have an orignal 70 914-6 with 1995 993 3.6L. It fits in the engine bay without any modifications to the body. It has the 915 gear box with a Wevo sideshift, shifter and shift linkages. It also has 993TT brakes and a few other goodies.

IPB Image

Wild 6
smdubovsky
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I heard (from Brad Roberts) that the 3.6 doesn't fit in w/o body mods. Does the intake hit (since the rest of the block is the same) or the distributor? A carbed 3.6 would solve one of those problems. Wild 6, Tell us how it fit.

Tnx,
SMD
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(Wild 6 @ Nov 16 2004, 02:27 PM)
I have an orignal 70 914-6 with 1995 993 3.6L. It fits in the engine bay without any modifications to the body. It has the 915 gear box with a Wevo sideshift, shifter and shift linkages. It also has 993TT brakes and a few other goodies.

IPB Image

Wild 6

I saw your car at Phoenix Flight... a WILD 6 indeed!

One of these days I'll get out to an Auto-X and see you finesse that beast around the course. Heck, I may even try it myself.

Great car!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wild 6 @ Nov 16 2004, 03:27 PM)
I have an orignal 70 914-6 with 1995 993 3.6L.

hey Wild 6,
that car looks familiar! did you buy the car in CA ??? idea.gif

oh, and welcome to the club!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Joe Bob
I have one in the 911 SC....fun. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Yep. His car was at HPH several years back...

I dont recall telling anyone that the body needed modified (unless you use a Varioram 3.6) then some cutting is needed.

EastCoaster... please call. I need to talk to you about the synchro rings. We are putting the tranny together today (waiting on synchro rings)

650-364-6234

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. the car pictured above was the first 914 to get the WEVO shift setup (test car)

B
Wild 6
The engine install was performed by Chris at Bauer Porsche in Oakland. You do not have to cut the body (or trunk). You can see the car at all of the Arizona PCA autocrosses and DE events. I will try to post engine pics later.

The car was originally owned by a dentist ( Alan) in AZ and was sold to a SF, CA buyer (Tobias) who participated in many Golden Gate region AXs. I bought the car and brought it back home to AZ. I have been working on it ever since.

Wild 6
gregrobbins
Wild 6 had his car out for our September breakfast and run. Awsome car. Very nice sounding!

Wild 6, will you be able to make the Dec 5 breakfast/toys for tots run to Casa Grande?
Mueller
Ernie King has/had a 3.8RSR built motor in his 914....this is the silver /6 that was for sale on and off for a few years.....he wanted 40K or so for it....worth it in my opinion smile.gif
Series9
It fits...
Series9
icon_bump.gif
TimT
I have a rather warm 3.2 in my 914, does that count?
Series9
I considered asking about 3.2s and 3.6s when I posted this topic, so let's go with that.

Let's see 'em. 3.2 guys join in.
TimT
How did you modify the rest of your car to handle the power?

I braced the rear suspension, the shock towers are tied to the cage. Im still running a 914 trans, but I have 2 spares.
redshift
sad.gif

I just checked, my car has no 3.6.

M
Series9
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 17 2004, 04:48 PM)
sad.gif

M

lol2.gif chairfall.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914RS @ Nov 17 2004, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 17 2004, 04:48 PM)
sad.gif

M

lol2.gif chairfall.gif

Just double checked mine too. Nope still a 2.2. rolleyes.gif
Andyrew
Me too... Just a lowly 5.7... sad.gif
RON S.
Yep,it's a 3.6 993
Gettin close to puttin fire in the hole,but can't do it yet.
Here's whats left.
A muffler that's not too too loud.
Oiling system hooked up from engine to oilbag.
A redo on my fuel pump.I'm considering an Aeromotive unit.
Lastly,getting a JWest shifter and all linkage to row the box.
Ron
Root_Werks
QUOTE(RON S. @ Nov 18 2004, 09:03 AM)
Yep,it's a 3.6 993
Here's whats left.
Ron

3.6 drooley.gif
Series9
QUOTE(RON S. @ Nov 18 2004, 10:03 AM)
Yep,it's a 3.6 993
Here's whats left.
Ron

Ron,

My 3.6 came from Walterboro, SC too. Is yours a Euro version?

From this warehouse:
East coaster
Hey......I think that's where mine came from too! Although it's a 964 3.6.
Series9
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.