Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: unhappy neighbors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
this guy stopped by for a visit w/ a 75' yest. i had heard this car on a ax track and it didn't seem excessivly loud. christ, he went down the street and i could hear it a half a mile away. sounded good to me, but the speed limit on my street is 25. he hit it hard trough 3rd gear. i'm sure my neighbors are going to stop waving. who cares? laugh.gif

one neighbor did ask me a while back if i was dismantling cars/selling parts, i had 4 at the time. "no, i'm not. i'm just gathering parts to put on my car". the county i live in has cracked down on excessive vehicles sit in yards. as long as i kept them tarped everything was cool.

kevin

kevin
J P Stein
What?...no "yard cars". Bummer.
I had one for bout a year. It was cool....blue tarp and the whole bit....left the lawn in a hell of a mess, tho.
Bleyseng
I wuz trying to get you in trouble on purpose! ohmy.gif
Did you here it miss too? Time to fix that today
Drove over to Hoods Canel in time to meet with group to get my limit of oysters and clams. Today dinner is fresh seafood!!!
Geoff
Thanks for that gas tank strap brace, Kevin
ChrisReale
Geoff, when you came by my house that one time, I could hear you from a few blocks away. I was like, "here comes Geoff". My mom was like "What the hell is that" laugh.gif
Bleyseng
Monique always hears me coming down the street and them puts the teapot on..haha
Its a Bursch, a quiet muffler too. POS if you ask me. Doesn't sound like the Dansk oem banana is all that great either if RustyWa is any indication of quality.
Geoff
914werke
huh.gif I didnt think it was that loud?
Dansk OEM? I wasnt aware Dansk made the stocker.
Arent they the co. that produces those purty SS systems for Boxters & 911?
I took my OEM while still relitively rust free and Ceramic coated it. Dosnt suppress the sound any but seems to repell rust a fair bit.. looks cool too clap56.gif
Qarl
We're building a new house in a very uppity, stuffy neighborhood. I'm sure they will just love it when I fire up the six conversion with the carbs and the loud exhaust.

A few of the neighbors are race car drivers so at least I will have some appreciation.

We also have lots of wildlife running through the neighborhood(mostly deer). I guess if I get too many in the front lawn I can fire up the 3.2L deer-deterent device and make them scatter!

Regards,
Bleyseng
I guess they do because Eric N (RustyWA) is installing one. Look at his thread about it.

I think mine is loud cuz I set off car alarms all the time!! tough!

Here is a pic of Kevins backyard with his stash.
Geoff
MarkV
My Bursch used to set off car alarms too. I replaced it w/ a used OEM banana. The OEM has a VW part# on it. I think the Dansk is a reproduction. There are a couple of OEM's on e-bay currently. One of them is a NOS.

NOS banana
Joe Bob
I'm gonna sponsor a 914/911 P-car run to start at my house when the garage is done.....THAT should shake up my pissy 'hood..... blink.gif
ChrisReale
Christ, does Kevin really have all those cars in his back yard?
Bleyseng
I had a oem banana on there before it rusted thru. I patched it 3 times before I tossed it. Damn, they are heavy!
Hey Mikez, that would be a cool way to piss off the neighborhood!!! Especially with that outlaw 356 type 4 beast!
Geoff
MarkV
The banana is quiet at idle & off idle. I think it works better in the high RPM range than the Bursch. Car seems to run better w/ it.

Here is the other auction:

2 banana
Bleyseng
You are right Mark, the oem muffler is better at high rpms than the Bursch. At mid rpms the Bursch is better by 1-3 hp.
Geoff
Zeke
Just give your neighbors a ride in your car. Or better yet, let them drive it in the hood. Then they are part of the problem and will not complain any longer. A guy just finished a Harley project in my otherwise quiet neighborhood. He takes the heat off me exceptionally well with those pipes. That's one contest I don't mind losing.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 18 2003, 05:03 PM)
I had a oem banana on there before it rusted thru. I patched it 3 times before I tossed it. Damn, they are heavy!
Hey Mikez, that would be a cool way to piss off the neighborhood!!! Especially with that outlaw 356 type 4 beast!
Geoff

I piss them off by just having the 356 sit in my driveway covered in a tarp. I'm the only guy in the 'hood that has kids...and Porsches....and dogs.

The are ALL retired upper middle aged rich twits that REALLY need a hobby besides calling the City every time I start a project......they object that I have a home in the middle of the 2 million McMansions they have built around me.....

I told one old phart that came by and bitch about my garage construction that he better be buried out of town. Because I was gonna do a drive by crapping on his final resting spot....he didn't like it much....of course all my buddies thought it was hilarious....

Since I moved here 8 years ago, a house a year has gone up on the hillside vacant lots. They all seem to think the front of my house is the local parking lot.....ahhh revenge......it's a sweet dish eaten cold and slow.
anthony
The Bursch on my car sounds especially loud before 8am on Sunday morning. I figure I'm getting my neighbors back for all the times their friends came over in their monster trucks to go fishing at 5am. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
oh..i can top all that.
i too have a bursch on my 2.0 weber 44 equipped beast. and i had practice at 5 am, so at 04:30 "the beast was awakened and filled w/ great resolve" as it speeds sown the street and by the neighbors house that has the stupid dog that barks all night!
SirAndy
i live in west-oakland, even WITHOUT the muffler, i wouldn't get anybody off his ass around here laugh.gif
sideshows and street-drag-racing and playing "cat and mouse" with the police takes up most of the time of the kids around here.

altough my car is certainly not louder than theirs,
it sure looks way better wub.gif

Andy
Mike T
I feel for you guys that have to fight pissy Neighbors. I have no neighbors. I told the realtor, secluded-remote. Took her a few tries but I got it.

My backyard, and all I see is trees. Sweet.

Mike T
rhodyguy
chris, that is not kevins yard and he does not have that many 914's laying around. only 2 now, one in the garage and one tarped under a carport.

kevin
GWN7
Only have 1 neibour that's a P.I.A.. Last spring I rebuilt the Holly for the Impalla. Start the car inside the garage to set it up, open headers. Run it 5-10 minutes, shut it down. An hour later there's a knock on the big door of the garage. Police dept, noise complaint. Nothing they could do because I wasn't making any noise when they arrived and the anti noise bylaw dosen't come into effect till 9pm. Told them I knew who called. They were more interested in the car than actually inforcing any laws. Same idiot called the health dept on another neibour because he said he saw rats in his yard. fighting19.gif
RustyWa
My understanding of the Dansk OEM banana muffler is that it is louder than the stock OEM banana. I cannot confirm this but, my car is now louder after I put the SS HE's and Dansk on compared to the rusted out '75 system I had on it.
jfort
I have a Harley with load pipes. The gray six will arrive from Oregon tomorrow. Neighbors will have to get used to two different, and loud, sounds. Only one sound better than getting on a Harley, and all of you know what it is. Can't wait.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.