Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Mistake?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Yesterday I pull the TS/Wiper switches out of the 74 parts car to get to the ignition switch. The TS/Wiper switches looked good but a little crusty. Everything appeared to be original on the wiper stalk from the factory. Went on the front trunk to take out the front hood pull and to my surprise I found intermittent wiper set up. So I went back to the wiper switch to check to see if the tab had been taken off and sure enough it had NEVER been removed. My guess is the car had intermittent wipers all a long and no one knew it. Factory mistake ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 2 2013, 06:52 AM) *
Factory mistake ?

I'm not even sure those were installed at the factory. They may have been installed by dealers.

idea.gif
CMONNETT
It was a factory installed option. The 76 2.0 I had several years ago had it installed, and it was listed as an option on the window sticker (which I think I still have somewhere), and it was listed as an option on the COA from Porsche.
SirAndy
I never questioned that it was a factory option.

I'm just not sure it was actually installed at Karmann.
shades.gif
reharvey
I have that relay on both of my 74s. What tab is he talking about on the wiper switch? Ray
r_towle
turn signal switches break...
maybe that one was previously replaced...

rich
914Sixer
The tab on the bottom left picture.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 2 2013, 09:52 AM) *

Yesterday I pull the TS/Wiper switches out of the 74 parts car to get to the ignition switch. The TS/Wiper switches looked good but a little crusty. Everything appeared to be original on the wiper stalk from the factory. Went on the front trunk to take out the front hood pull and to my surprise I found intermittent wiper set up. So I went back to the wiper switch to check to see if the tab had been taken off and sure enough it had NEVER been removed. My guess is the car had intermittent wipers all a long and no one knew it. Factory mistake ?

I found out about the intermittent block in '75. Not sure that it was there in all 914's, but when I pulled the white block out I had an option that I never paid for! Had the same incident with my '86 GTI.
Tom_T
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 2 2013, 04:35 PM) *

turn signal switches break...
maybe that one was previously replaced...

rich

agree.gif

most likely the tab wasn't snipped when the switch unit was replaced Mark.
914Sixer
The tab is on the Wiper switch which rarely fails. As I stated in the post, all of the assembly appeared to be original.
r_towle
Blinker switch fails all the time, whole unit gets swapped out and when using a used part it may look the same.

fastfingers
QUOTE(CMONNETT @ Mar 2 2013, 01:03 PM) *

It was a factory installed option. The 76 2.0 I had several years ago had it installed, and it was listed as an option on the window sticker (which I think I still have somewhere), and it was listed as an option on the COA from Porsche.

Yea. Both my '73 and '74 had them as listed options on the window stickers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.