Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: PR Cailf Blue Plates $24 shipped Sold To Dave
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
914Sixer
These were on the parts car I picked up. Some one might want to restore them and use them on their car. Shipped Priority Mail.

a914nut@email.com
JeffBowlsby
Is that an easy process to get these assigned to my car through the DMV Mark? I am not familiar with the process. If it can be done, and i can get these restored, I call dibs on these. I need more information before I can commit.

PS what VIN did these come from?
Highland
CA DMV tells me you can swap plates on 1972 and earlier. I have some blue plates I've been trying to put on my '74 and DMV keeps on saying no. I check every so often since laws change.
914Sixer
I have no clue about using the plates in CA. Here in Texas they just add them to the data bases for a small fee and give you a window decal for a antique vehicle.

VIN 4742907802 11/73
dlkawashima
Interested in them if Jeff passes. I have a '71 2002 that (hopefully) can take them.
DanT
Those would have probably been on a '74 vehicle originally...I had a brand new '71 super beetle and the plate letters started with a "C"
And my current bug has the original plates beginning with a "J", it is a '74.
Very cool to have period correct plates.
JeffBowlsby
I'll have to pass on these Mark.
Mike Bellis
I have also heard of people (when denied by DMV) request a custom vanity plate with the blue plate number. If the blue plate is out of the DMV system, it should be easy. There is a higher cost to re-register every year.
dlkawashima
PM sent. I'll take them (assuming I'm next in line now that Jeff has passed on them).
914Sixer
Going to Dave since he was behind Jeff B.
Ive tried a few times to get YOM=year of manufacture blue plates transferred on my car.
DMV will not do it.I even tried to reserve the plate number with Vanity plates and they will not go thru.Good luck..
Tom_T
Hey guys - YOM plates for cars, motorcycles & trailers currently only go up to 1969 plates - the commercial plates for trucks/vans go up to 72 currently, but will NOT apply to any 914s nor other cars (some VW Buses, panel vans & Dokas can get them if originally/currently with commercial plates I think).

These could be restored & used for off-road/car show display on a 914 only - or Mark could sell his parts car with plates for it's resto & reopening of the file if these plates were original to that 914 & the paperwork/reg cards are still around (DMV will not have them).

You can find the actual correct # original blue/yellow plates assigned to your 914 in 1969-197x & get them assigned back to your 914 (say if it went out of state & they saved the original blue plates, or if they were somehow not collected by DMV when later or personal plates put on) with some paperwork, fees etc. But you need the actual original numbers - not different ones.

In all cases for YOM or assignment back - you need the correct type plates & number series, & you need BOTH F&R matching plates .... and be prepared with all of the DMV regs & info printed out to take in to DMV & still expect a hassle, long time to process in DMV office + a long wait for the final approval.

Otherwise, your best bet is to sign-up for the new Cal-DMV Legacy Plates - which are "vintage look" flat reflective paint plates with painted on numbers (not stamped as in yore) in similar colors.....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

You can pick your 914's old original number &/or any other not currently assigned.

I've been going thru researching this to both reactivate my 73 914's plates eventually, & to do a YOM for our "new" vintage restored 1960 Avion T20 trailer (sim to Airstream) now.

So don't buy old CA plates assuming you can add them with DMV!

Also - other states will be different.
bembry
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 4 2013, 02:58 PM) *

You can find the actual correct # original blue/yellow plates assigned to your 914 in 1969-197x & get them assigned back to your 914 (say if it went out of state & they saved the original blue plates, or if they were somehow not collected by DMV when later or personal plates put on) with some paperwork, fees etc. But you need the actual original numbers - not different ones.

Tom--how do we find out what our original plate number was? I've got almost zero documentation from previous owners.
dfelz
With some paper work filled out and a check made out to the state, it can be done!
I think its actually only like $25 for a full vehicle history report from the DMV, i looked it up awhile ago but dont remember the specifics. takes a few weeks thats for sure...
bembry
Thanks--I'll give it a try!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.